1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A nice little touch?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by the hippo, Apr 24, 2019.

1. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

When I was teaching in China, each year all of the teachers at my school would get their hongbao for the Chinese New Year, a little red envelope containing 100 RMB. Okay, it was not a huge amount of money, but it was a nice little touch, a thank you and a bit of appreciation.

Here in Bulgaria, we get 60 leva of Kaufland vouchers every month. (Some people say that you cannot use them to buy alcohol, but the head says that you can!) Can you think of any nice little ways in which your current (or your last) school shows its appreciation?

2. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

It's obviously not a regular thing but all teachers in government schools last year received an extra months salary to honor/celebrate the 'Year of Zayed' which our school, despite it's many flaws, adopted too.

I could do with it again this year but sadly it's not happening.

3. fullblownattack63

fullblownattack63 New commenter

- A chocolate bar/birthday card hand delivered by the principal to you on your big day
    - Free personalised staff mug (start of year) and staff hoodie (end of year)
    - My school is having it's 25th Anniversary so there are a number of shows and performances where the staff get a drinks/nibbles reception afterwards

mermy likes this.
  4. BrightonBoy

BrightonBoy New commenter

I remember nice little touches like this from my time teaching in HK. Depresses me how this thread wouldn't get much mileage on the UK-based forums!

5. FromEuropeToEurope

FromEuropeToEurope New commenter

In the U.S.
    Standard practice within my county
    -Welcome shirt, coffee mug (Personalized)
    -Organizer (Personalized)

Each winter break we get a present in the form of
    Umbrella, shirt, scarf, mug, bag and so on.

One year the county decided to give all teachers $200 holiday spending money. Very nice little touch since my wife and I are both teachers....

6. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

We have an annual Staff Appreciation Day when mothers (I know it’s sexist, but they ARE all mothers...) provide us all with breakfast & lunch dishes from their home countries and there are various attempts at entertainment and a raffle in which I have never won a thing! It’s very good and we enjoy it a lot...

7. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

We all get a massive Christmas hamper (I think this is very much the done thing in Spain) and the school makes a very big deal about International Teachers' Day.

8. mermy

mermy Occasional commenter

Lucky you!

I got a cover lesson for my birthday, meaning I had a full teaching day plus after school meeting.

Counting down the days until the escape...

9. gone east

gone east New commenter

We celebrate birthdays every month... Cake candles and if its your birthday you get a small token as a present.
    Costs the school little, some staff don't value it but others think its a nice thought. So worst case response is indifference

10. Ms_Love_

Ms_Love_ Occasional commenter

We get an afternoon off for International Womens' Day (sorry guys!) and red envelopes for CNY.

In the UK we got a Monday as a shopping day off a couple of days before Christmas, which always struck me as nice of the school since the term before Christmas was always bloody mental.

11. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

A school I used to work at once did Staff Appreciation Week. On Monday, the children cleaned everyones car. On another day, each child brought in one flower, meaning you ended up with a bunch to take home. On another day, you got a thank you card from each child. They also took all the staff out for lunch, and your placemat had been designed by the children in your class. It was for all the staff - TAs, admin, cleaners...everyone!

12. Zimrilim

Zimrilim New commenter

Madrid, December 1997. The school director/owner won el Gordo , shared with his mum and sister who was a cloistered nun, so she automatically gave half to him and half to her religious order. We all came back to work in January to receive £3000 in El Corte Ingles vouchers. I furnished my flat with that. But also three teachers were getting married that year and he paid for the wedding receptions. Add to that, he was the most fair minded of bosses with a heart of gold and an ability to sink pints like no other. RIP Jose S.

Millionsandmillions likes this.
  13. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

Hmmm. We get birthday cards and flowers on our birthdays here, I don't know how "personal" it is though. We used to get a Christmas hamper but they've stopped that now unless you go to the party.

I once worked in an office where you got your birthday as holiday! It was actually quite nice.

14. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

We used to have a staff appreciation day with gift bags (anyone for pork floss, mackerel, and shampoo for irritable scalps?). But now it's been scraped. We aren't allowed to accept gifts from students or parents either.

mas_o_menos likes this.
  15. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

My school buys birthday flowers, which I think is nice because it means someone has had to remember it's your birthday. They also buy a small end-of-year gift for everyone (eg. bottle of wine), which I don't value as much because it's too impersonal - everyone gets the same thing, whether they drink or not, whether they've worked at the school all year or just joined two weeks ago. Feels like a token gift to tick a box, rather than a sign of genuine appreciation.

16. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I’ve had good ones and bad ones, if there is a bad gift. Free samples of the owner’s family’s company products were always pretty useless. But movie tickets, mugs, cookies and such were always nice.
    One December, after a long semester, we were all given boxed local treats the last day “in case we hadn’t had a chance to pick up a gift to take to our families”. That was nice.

17. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

I take it that it was "scraped" because the shampoo didn't work? ( Come on it is Friday.....)

Perce

18. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Thirteen years ago, Mrs M and I were given beautiful soft leather brief cases as final Christmas gifts from the owners of our final school in India. They are still in pristine condition because big boots and wellies are more the thing here on the farm. There's a saying to the effect that 'it's the thought that counts'. The same owners owned a travel agency. Naturally they booked and paid for the annual end-of-year UK flights which were part of our contract. They also quite unexpectedly paid for the annual Christmas flights which weren't part of the deal. Now, that was a real thought.

19. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

I seem to remember when I first started working in Spain in 2007, we got, for the first couple of years, a Christmas bonus from the GOVT - think it was about 300 euros, so substantial. Then the recession really kicked in and it was stopped!

As for the owners: they were very generous with their frequent scowls ;)

Now in China we get rice cookers, Korean bar-b-qs, hongbaos of 500 kuai, teacher celebration meals etc. Much better out East!

20. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

I just got an email from my new school advising that when we arrive at the airport we will be given £250 to help us settle in. That was a very nice gesture.

Not directly from the school - but at the end of the year in the country I'm working we get a gratuity that will be enough to pay for a decent holiday. Not sure if my wife will get it too as she is an TA but if she does it will be MOST welcome.

As for the school, we shall see but not holding our breath......