1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A new Y6 boy from Tabago - does not know letters, sounds, can't read and write

Discussion in 'Primary' started by 666, Sep 11, 2011.

1. 666

Hi,
    Looking for some advice. I new pupil arrived in my class on Tuesday with no writing or reading skills. English is his first language.
    I need activities to keep him busy and engaged without taking up all of my time. I have a class of 30 Y6 and very little TA time.
    I have found some 'Letters and Sounds' websites with interactive games and a nice little pack 'All about me' aimed at R/Y1 as we are doing autobiogrpahies in English.
    What else can I get him doing? He hates school as he was badly treated in Tabago and left to entertain himself at the back of the class. Trying to change his outlook of school.

ANY ideas would be great!![​IMG]

2. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Right, forst of all you need to badger your head, county, ed psych, everyone to get support for this boy. There's no way he should be unsupported in quite a large class when his ability/skills are such a long way below the rest of the children. Or in the short term, get a T.A deployed from another classroom. This is a desperate situation and calls for desperate measures.
    Until that happens, (and make sure it does) the I.T. games as good but isolating. Could you allow one child each lesson (on rotation) to sit with the boy and help him in a rwlated activity to the rest of the class albeit on a much lower level. I know this won't go down well with a lot of people but there are advantages to the child in development of social skills, empathy, tolerance

3. DFC

DFC New commenter

You might find www.starfall.com useful.
    There are supporting worksheet activities to go with the ICT based resources.
    Americanised I know, but I have found it helpful.

4. I would recommend using clicker 5. I have had great success with EAL students on it as well as SEN and there is a lot of premade grids you can use. As he will be able to hear the words before he puts them in sentences he should be able to write simple sentences in a short time.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm not overly convinced that giving him a booklet aimed at R/Yr1 while everyone else write autobiographies is going to do much for his self confidence. If he can speak and understand English, he will be able to figure out how much 'easier' his work is and so feel stupid. He is also probably not going to appreciate an adult with him all of the time, if no-one else does.

Get him sitting with children he is getting on with, attainment level is irrelevant. Let him largely copy their work in your lessons. Explain to the class that he is allowed to do that because he has only just arrived in England and it wouldn't be fair to ask him to write as well as people who have been at school here for 6 years already. Say they are to let him do so and help him if he asks. Then leave him to this fairly often.

At other times let him play matching phonic games with another child, lots available on the web.

And sometimes going out with a TA to work on learning to read and write for himself.

6. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

I wonder what his fine moteor skills are like, they could be quite good.
    Just thinking of the dot to dot resources for learning to wirte letters and words.

7. I agree with MinnieMix. Attainment levels are irrelevant at this stage. He needs to practice interacting with the children in his class on any kind of level. This should be balanced with time for him to learn basic English and being assigned to a different child each day to help him. His comfort and sense of belonging should be at the heart of this approach. He needs to want to learn English and to participate in the school culture, in order to increase his potential towards learning.

8. Oh, and I think that an adult sat with him all of the time may not develop his sense of belonging etc.

9. 666

Thanks for all advice so far.

He already speaks English - he is not EAL.
    This week I have been trying to include him in what we are doing and he has infact been copying other childrens work or mark making to look busy. But he is becoming increasingly frustrated that he can't do the work. The R/Y1 booklet is all about himself and very colour / visual. Having worked with him this week I think he would enjoy it - hence why I have planned that in for this week. He interacts with the children very well and is fully included at playtimes etc... so I am not worried about his social development as such.
    He hates school because of the work - not the children/social side.
    I was thinking about starting toe by toe but not sure if that would right just yet?
    What is clicker? I have not heard of it.

10. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

The country is called T<u>o</u>bago

11. 666
    Please consider evaluating what Phonics International has to offer this pupil as an older child needing basic skills.
    You are welcome to contact me if you think that I can be helpful:
    debbie@phonicsinternational.com

12. Minnieminx - thank you ever so much. I have a new Yr 6 child from the Netherlands, who speaks some English and - thanks to similar phonetic sounds! - can read and write a little. I'm going to try your 'buddying' idea for a while, now - he's a cheeky one, and would much rather he wasn't with an adult all the time! Can't believe I didn't think of anything like this, it sounds so simple - thank you, thank you!!

13. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

Clicker or other programs with text to speech (especially with symbols to help - they don't have to be on the text as they appear in their own window as well) would be great - the screen speaks the text on demand and usually a highlighter moves along showing you the words being spoken. They use computer voices so any entered text can be read - it doesn't even have to be spelt correctly, just with some phonic accuracy. So another child could buddy and type in his story (and his autobiography should have a lot going for it), or he could record his work onto the computer with a Skype headset and something like Freecorder or program you have in school and a small group could listen.
    Other programs with 'real voice' can only speak the text that belongs to the activity but shouldn't be overlooked. They don't have to be babyish for his age. I have an old program called More Reading for Meaning which covers 3 books of the old written version and is fine. (Though culturally the English spoken, vocabulary and idiom, and his life experience will be different from that of UK children.) There must be heaps of real voice programs around which would be age-appropriate. Many are free - try the BBC etc.
    You can't do writing without letters - have you got any program where you can watch the letter being formed on the screen? Or go straight to typing with one of the programs around.

14. google translate!

15. and a very nice place it is too