1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A new teacher needs HELP please

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by deronke, Jan 18, 2011.

1. How can i make my teaching mathematics more inereactive and interesting to a group of learners in hair and beauty class (age 16 and above.
    THANKS
    Deronke

2. For box plots and centiles, use the maths 4 real video on fashion then introduce babies' growth charts and make the link between the two.

3. What on earth?
    Just how will this be applicable to the majority (if not all) of pupils on a post 16 air & booty course?
    Doesn't appear on foundation mathematics GCSE, Doesnt appear on Functional skills 1-3 (AFAIK) and certainly will never be used in their daily life
    My suggestion is to establish what the pupils need to be succesful in their work and in their exams. From experience many who study such courses do it to equip themselves with either a qualification or basic skills.
    Handling money may be a primary goal, basic number work may help others with timing issues (such as understanding when to pull the old dear from the blue rinse pot) . I have no idea on the measures used in the industry but metric/imperial work may be a focus. Basic spreadhseets and all the 'core skills' adults in such jobs need.
    If the kids are more able and want to study maths then go from there.
    Just real functional applicable maths, silly things like ratios for mixing etc etc.
    Box plots? screw it lets do some log equations just incase they have to work out how many split ends on split ends tracy has on her bottle blonde mop.
    How do you get taken seriously?

4. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

echoing betamale's excellent suggestions, from my understanding, measuring quantities and ratio are key concepts. And definitely time, as mentioned. It is amazing how many 16 year olds CAN'T tell the time properly -
    eg questions like
    "if they have to be under the drier for 25 mins and it's quarter to three now, what time do they have to come out?"
    "if the mixture needs to be 10% peroxide, how much do I need to go with 100 ml of water?"
    etc. My actual knowledge of hair/beauty terminology is non existent, but you should get the gist!!

5. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Are you serious?

6. DM

DM New commenter

I think you are a little out of touch due to the cohort you teach Karvol. Most of the lower ability Year 11 sets in my school cannot tell the time on an analogue clock - they have never had to. The only timepiece they carry is a mobile phone. Although they think they are secure in understanding the time on their phone, it is easy to expose their lack of understanding e.g. 12:50 means half past twelve.

7. How about some relevant problem solving:
    eg. Mrs Bates has the first appointment at 9am, it takes 10 mins for Hairdresser 1 (H1) to wash her hair and then H1 will take 20 minutes to cut her hair. Then Hairdresser 2 (H2) will need to dye her hair which takes 15 mins and Mrs bates will need to wait while her hair sets for 30 minutes. H1 will then style Mrs Bates hair, which will take 15 minutes.
    At what time will Mrs Bates get out of the hairdresser?
    Mr Jones needs a haircut by H1 before 10:30, it will takes 30 mins, is this possible?
    I'm sure my hairdressing knowledge is extremely lacking, but there's one idea for a problem.

8. True and more likely to be an issue for those who go down the 'non academic' route very often.
    Here is a lesson plan and half if you want one.
    "Teaching MENA pupils the analogue clock in colloquial English"
    Twenty to 10 in the evening is a stunner as is asking them to show 1/4 past four pm yet its seen as an F/G GCSE topic in maths

9. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I am...gobsmacked.

10. DM

DM New commenter

Imagine what other delights you are missing out on by gliding above "the sump of life" * in the independent sector Karvol.
    <font size="4">* According to Polecat this is where I languish.
    </font>

11. DM

DM New commenter

Not sure why the font changed midpost there.

12. strawbs

we have plenty who cannot tell the time; cannot read their lesson timetable; cannot be bothered to wear a watch (or get their phone out of their pocket) so consequently just wander around trying to find a mate in the same lesson.
    The whole analogue/digital thing is a problem, but even with purely digital some have no concept of 20 mins after 12.50 for instance. And assume an hour has 100 mins.

13. "How long of the lesson is left sir?"
    "We finish at 10 past eleven"
    Kid looks at watch
    "How long is left of the lesson then sir?"

I have had my analogue clock in my class rotated 90 degrees for weeks at a time in the past and some groups (a handful) never question it as it only shows 12/3/6/9

14. Thanks for your response, information was found useful

15. frustum

frustum Established commenter

I got talking to my hairdresser years ago when I had a GCSE group with several aspiring hairdressers in it. Unfortunately I forget the details, but there was some chemical or other that she bought as, say, a 15% solution, but might need to use as a 10% solution, so she needed to be able to work out how much water to add.

16. strawbs

love it!![​IMG]

17. tango78

tango78 New commenter

Hey,

If I were you I would set them up in an imaginary business, this is probably the main time when they will use Maths in the future so it will all aeem relevant to them. Once they ahve started their imaginary company they can practise lots of Maths skills in timetabling staff to cover all the shifts, calculating wages, looking at times when seeing how many appts can be fitted into the opening hours, taxes, rents and how increases would affect this, profit and loss accounts, budgeting.
    Good luck,

18. You have to make everyhting as practical as possible. Make them "walk" throug the maths etc.
    If you look at means. Give them 15 sweets and 3 plates, put the sweets randomly on different plates and get them to share tem equally...transfer that to add the different amounts on each plates and divide by the mumber of plates...hence to mean calculations.
    Build up from practical examples!

19. Would you take that approach with 17 year old girls in a class they often don't want to be in? Time is at a minimum, qualifications need to be gained and Im not sure ALL would either make the connection of be 'turned on' by something such as that...perhaps Im wrong but after teaching such folk over different cohorts its not something I would think is universal.
    Start talking peroxide and the % that sends you orange rather than platinum blonde and you MAY get more of a response. I know many 'girly girls' are, aged 16-18, a little too cool for party game lessons
    The old BTEC maths books were great. They may be a little high in terms of the level but nice in a way,

20. Dressing maths up can be counter-productive with classes like these. Nothing wrong with getting them on side and an odd practical demo here and there but streetwise kids often see through any gimmicks in lessons.

I've not seen the BTEC books but I have used the old Key Maths books together with the even older SMP series of books with fairly good results.