1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A move to help consumers make healthier choices

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/35383842

Fans of Magnum, Cornetto and Ben and Jerry's ice creams may be dismayed to learn that they will be getting smaller portion sizes as a consequence of Unilever's concern over their health.

"Unilever's UK ice cream marketing director Noel Clarke said: "We have introduced this 250 calorie cap to help make it easier for our consumers to make informed and healthier choices when enjoying their favourite ice creams as part of a balanced lifestyle."

That's nice of them to think of us, isn't it? I wonder whether the prices will reduce in line with the reduction in portion size?

What might prompt this company to suddenly care how healthy we are? It wouldn't have anything to do with improving its image following criticism from environmental groups about the way it goes about destroying the planet, would it?

2. gooddays

gooddays Senior commenter

Will we then be faced with this dilemma: a smaller portion of Peanut Butter Cup at 287 calories per 100 ml.or a larger portion of Chocolate Fudge Brownie at 191 calories per 100 ml.?

3. Duke of York

You raise an interesting point, gooddays. Will those who favour Peanut Butter Cup over Chocolate Fudge Brownie, which they may dislike anyway, continue to dine on Peanut Butter Cup, but find the smaller portions sufficiently unsatisfying that they end up having two instead of one, increasing their calorie intake in the process?

With regard to Magnums and Cornettos, these often appear in supermarket offers at half price, a deal that will require Unilever's support for the supermarkets to offer.

I believe that a significant number of people spend as much as they can afford in a weekly shop, living their lives from one payday to the next and don't budget on the basis of their health. So two Magnums or Cornettos for the price of one, sounds to me like an opportunity to indulge in more unhealthy food rather than the less that Unilever are making out will occur.

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

I love Pistachio Magnums!!

foxtail3 likes this.
  5. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

No, as the cost of the product is not just the cost of the ice cream.
    No. It's because of the whole obesity, sugar, health thing

6. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Me too! I like the ones with a sparkly raspberry coating too.
    Lidl ones are a lot cheaper and pretty good too- well, the almond ones are.

7. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Of course it is......:rolleyes:
    If there was no benefit to the profit margin they wouldn't be doing it

Mangleworzle likes this.
  8. colpee

colpee Star commenter

If only I had a discount for every time I have heard the term "easier for our customers" linked to a price hike:mad:

Mangleworzle and Duke of York like this.
  9. FritzGrade

You would be able to link to 3 different news stories with those phrases?

10. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

The smaller portion size probably meets the traffic light requirements so it doesn't have red, red, red. It's the same thing as other fizzy drinks and sweets serving the same size but "for sharing" so they don't have to say it's 300% of your day's sugar.

FritzGrade likes this.
  11. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I think a similar thing happened years ago with water saving. Washing machines were advertised as being 'eco friendly' and using less water but it just meant you could get less washing in. I remember I used to be able to wash a duvet in a standard washing machine.

12. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Oh come ON! It is cynical marketing flannel to a) boost sales in an overcrowded competitive market, and b) making more money by saying it is healthier and probably putting the price up. Anyone with a bit of intelligence can see this.

Apart from which NONE of these campaigns makes the slightest bit of difference to the great unwashed monsters you see waddling about in their pyjamas.

13. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I am waiting to see how far Mars bars and the ilk shrink...they dont even fill the wrapper. Mind you they claim the price is cheaper on the multipacks.

14. Duke of York

Who wants to tell me where the choice is here? Unless things have changed since I was at school, a choice requires a minimum of two options. If Unilever had retained the original size ice creams and introduced the smaller sizes, I can see there would be a choice, but since they haven't, Mr Clarke is spouting nonsense.

colpee likes this.
  15. FritzGrade

A ice-cream (from the available list) or something else from the shop.
    When a restaurant offers choices, it doesn't offer the same food in 6 different size portions

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I like Ben and Jerries but the cost vs. the volume of ice cream you get is laughable.

Magnum are just choc ices on a stick.

17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

You're the cynical one here, Jacob.

18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Mmmmm ... on a stick.

19. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Not. Just realistic. Do you fall for all the rubbish spouted in marketing?