1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A move into careers guidance

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by k8gee, Jan 7, 2016.

1. k8gee

k8gee New commenter

Hi
    I am a qualified teacher and really enjoy supporting KS4 and 6th form students with University applications and careers guidance - I even enjoy writing references(!) (I used to be in charge of this in a previous job). I'm currently overseas; but would really like to gain a recognised careers guidance qualification so that I can move into guidance counselling in a year or two. Can you recommend an online course that I could do alongside working full time please? I'm based in Malaysia currently.
    Thank you in advance :)

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there k8gee and welcome to our forum.

I have no personal knowledge of any courses, and cannot therefore recommend them. Nor not recommend!

You might try asking the National Careers Guidance folk if they have any suggestions.

Best wishes

3. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I work in careers guidance and have advanced qualifications. I'd be surprised if you can complete a recognised qualification completely online as evidence usually includes observation of sessions by your assessor. As @TheoGriff says National Careers will be able to advise.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Thank you @ilovesooty for that clarification - very helpful!

Best wishes

ilovesooty likes this.
  5. k8gee

k8gee New commenter

Thank you :) Yes I was aware that there would be practical elements. I need to find a course where these can be done in Malaysia. Hopefully National Careers will help.