1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A mini survey about targets in classrooms

Discussion in 'Primary' started by oldsomeman, Mar 5, 2011.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I asked a different question on opinion but i would be interested here.
    In my yr 3 i have to use lo wilf, walt,must should ete etc for children,However i an convinced they do little to help a childs education other than teach them how to write it.
    Do you think they are useful and serves a purpose?

2. oldsomeman

I asked a different question on opinion but i would be interested here.
    In my yr 3 i have to use lo wilf, walt,must should ete etc for children,However i an convinced they do little to help a childs education other than teach them how to write it.
    Do you think they are useful and serves a purpose?

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Largely I would agree with you.

4. zannar

zannar New commenter

no

5. QFE

QFE New commenter

Very little use at all - shows you are doing the 'right' thing. Children learn best when they think they are not learning.
    As an aside, how many courses do we go on where the AST/LA consultant does not use this approach? I will confess now to being the naughty, disengaged boy at the back.

As far as I am concerned, it is part of a move to make teachers instructors, rather than TEACHERS.

6. I think targets (but not necessarily WALT/WILF/WHATEVER) have their place. It's important for children and teachers to have clear and high expectations but these can be communicated in a variety of ways.
    Sometimes but older children can respond very well to a more explicit approach (my teaching experiences are from Nursery to Y6 )
    I agree with comments that they are trundled out to please others (SMT/observers etc) rather than for what's best for the pupils.
    Wow- I'm sitting on the fence for this one- not like me at all!

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I like WALT, sort of focusses the lesson. But I don't use it every single lesson without fail.

WILF is good for writing lessons with my particular class this year, but sometimes has been pointless with other classes.

Must should could is useless unless every child has all three tailored for them alone which is unworkable.

8. oldsomeman

We are asked for every lesson including art...and pe!
    Im more comncerned mine spend so long on these they forget to do much else!..but i can see they do have a point to focus the child/children
    The head wants these applied to all children.....and in book reveiews i get down marked as i dont show them and also next comments.........although how, if they have just done and achieved full understanding of say fractions of a shape ,what on earth i can write.

9. emperors new clothes
    everyone says how wonderful it is
    a minority realsise that there is nothing in it!

10. oldsomeman

how come the bosses dont?

11. greta444

greta444 New commenter

a big waste of time. I give the objective orally and mark against it. Y4/5

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Well I have a LO for every single lesson, but don't necessarily go to the trouble of telling the children what it is. Maybe should, who cares...they learn anyway!

WILF
    I think I might do mine differently to you then. I lead the discussion with the class on what I'll be looking for in their writing and jot it on the board. They then get on with the work and we use what we wrote as the WILF for marking criteria at the end. They spend as long on it as it takes me to get all that I want. (Not quite perfect child led but hey ho!)

13. taj

taj

I think it is a complete waste of time. Up until last term we had to write the WALTon the board and the children wrote it in their books. Some kids spent so long writing WALT they hardly did any work. Then SLT said standards weren't high enough and children were not making enough progress so now we have to write WALT and WILF on the board and the kids write the WILF in their books. Only now the kids are so confused half of them write WALF. I sometimes feel like writing *** just to see if anybody notices..

14. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I don't understand this though. Surely if they weren't writing a WALT they would be writing a title? I would say that rethinking how teachers word the WALT would be a better choice than throwing it all out.

15. No escaping WILF in Wales....success criteria and the kids abilities to agree on them, come up with them and reflect on their work in relation to them is explicitly written into several of the National Curriculum Programmes of Study.

16. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

Complete waster of time imho in Y1- can't comment further than that!

17. erialcrobo

erialcrobo New commenter

I also agree! My children are in Y1 and although they can say what they are learning/level they are on I don't actually think it helps their overall learning.

18. That has to be the most stupid thing I have read from a teacher in a Long, long time!

I won't make any generalising opposing statements in response, but would remind people that children who are engaged with their learning, which is appropriate for their individual needs, will always achieve ... whatever level it is measured at. If they do not learn in a lesson then the teacher has not planned carefully enough.
    1) they should know what it is that they are supposed to be learning: their LO, which should be skills based and not context based, should be available to refer to throughout, with frequent reference as to how the lesson content will help them achieve the LO, which should be achievable by the end of the lesson ... not set for a week or unit. ... so that children can feel they have been successful each lesson.
    2) they should know what has to be done to achieve that learning. 'Process Success' criteria (not 'outcome SC') should be carefully broken down into easy steps, preferably by the children themselves, available for constant reference (Have I done that? What have I missed out?);
    3) they should be encouraged to self-evaluate where they are in their learning, and regularly check they are still working towards achieveing the LOand as part of the plenary decide for themselves if they have done everything in the SC and therefore achieved the LO.

19. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

20. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Sorry
    LOL! [​IMG] at 'taj' *** comment