1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A metaphor and a similie - what is the actual difference?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kym131218, Oct 27, 2011.

1. kym131218

kym131218 New commenter

How do you explain the difference between a metaphor and a similie to children?

I am confused. I need to simple definitions to distinguish the difference between the 2. Anyone got any good ones?
    Please, please, please?

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

A simile directly compares two things using as or like As cold as ice.
    A metaphor implies comparison The moon was a ghostly galleon tossed upon cloudy seas.

4. A simile says something is LIKE something else, a metaphor says something IS something else.

5. That was what I thought too.

The rain was ice - metaphor.
    The rain was as cold as ice - simile.

6. I agree with the above to distinguish the use of "metaphor" and simile", but I have a nagging feeling that metaphor can be a more generic term also to compare through an analogy of similarity, I think it can be said similes are a specific type of metaphor too. Metaphorical language can more generally draw on all the various devices.

Yes, just checked out this in Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphor

Me too, with primary kids, I distinguish the terms as previous posts suggest.

7. I'm not teaching full time now, if I were I'd love to extract some ideas (KS2) for Speaking and Listening from this article, which I came across whilst researching following from this thread:

http://sixminutes.dlugan.com/metaphor-speech-examples/

8. T34

T34 Established commenter

"The moon was a ghostly galleon, tossed upon cloudy seas."
    "My love is like a red, red rose, that's newly spring in June."

9. I use the 'like' or 'is' definitions too, but also teach (and was taught during A Level Eng Lit) that a simile is one type of metaphor, while 'metaphor' is a generic term for comparative imagery.