1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A message to Gail Robinson regarding Taiwan

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by percy topliss, Apr 24, 2012.

1. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

I was just perusing the TES jobs pages for Asia and noticed that not only are the Gulf States included in Asia these days but also that Taiwan is put down as "Taiwan, Province of China", forgive me for being a thickie but the last time I looked Taiwan was a sovereign country with its own government ( a multi party democracy) and everything.
    Its full title is the Republic of China, and it is a member of the WTO and APEC, according to Thickiepedia it has the worlds 19th largest economy, not to be sniffed at and shurely even larger than Ruritania? Its larger and more warlike neighbours in the north style themselves the Peoples Republic of China.
    To my knowledge the only people who claim it as a province of China are those in power in Beijing.
    Is this just geographical idiocy on the part of a small cog at the TES I ask myself or just another show of its bowing to pressure? Perhaps schools on the mainland will not advertise unless the TES co-opts Taiwan back into the fold?
    Come on Gail, do tell...
    Percy

2. Technically, both Taiwan and the PRC claim to be part of the same China but under the Shanghai Communiques negotiated between the US and the PRC the issue has been fudged.
    Taiwan promises not to declare independence in return for a tacit promise from the PRC not to invade. The US made it clear that it will tolerate no violation of the status quo unless all sides agree to it.
    No party recognises this as a binding agreement in the nature of a treaty but all seem to accept the ambiguity.
    As to the TES, the usual motives of filthy lucre will probably apply, but then it could also be the natural instinct of a journalist to truckle to arbitrary power while being rude to liberal democracies freedoms from a position of comfort and safety.

3. A friend of mine got deported from China (I know, be careful with whom you make friends) and he's wondering if that might impact his visa application at a school in Taiwan where he just accepted a job. Do you know anything about this or about where he might find out?

4. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

The option you might be referring to is revoking your work visa. This then makes you liable to deportation. The revoking of the work visa can occur if you
    a) have lost your position (because the Z visa is tied to your employment)
    b) been involved in some activities the authorities did not appreciate (illegal normally, or incitement or prosetylizing) and they want to get rid of you.
    It will be very unlikely to return to the Middle Kingdom. Taiwan is different, although the application for a visa will ask about previous offences/convictions. A passport with the cancelled Chinese permit will also raise difficult questions.