1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A message from Tidal Toag/Didactylos4

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TES_Community, Nov 22, 2019.

1. TES_Community

TES_Community Administrator

We have been asked to post the following message from Tidal to his friends on the Tes Community:

I would just like my friends and people that I have conversed with, over some considerable years, know I am not going to be posting any more. I have had some very good times here, and some questionable times, but overall good times. It seems now is the time I shuffle off my mortal coil, that nasty old cancer thing got me after all the illness and woes over the years. But now is time to meet my maker. "No one is actually dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away."

Regards

Tidal Toag - Didactylos4

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

God speed on your journey my friend [and I mean friend]

I will miss your posts... in all your forms... and your sighs of exasperation...

My thoughts with your family and friends. One day we'll beat cancer ... I firmly believe that.

3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I've missed your posts, Tidal. Good luck.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh this has got me crying again.
    If any relatives are reading, know that tidal's ripples will be rippling a good long while yet, Even though he's been absent over a year now, many on here have very happy memories of him.

And thank you to @TES_Community for acknowledging the demise of a much loved poster, :) despite past incidences.

5. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

May the ripples you have caused go on forever, Tidal; may they be as longlasting as the movement of the sea you chose for your handle.

6. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Beautifully put, Lara and Monica.

I’ve missed Tidal’s posts and I’m sure he’s missed the human contact via TES.

Thank you TES for posting.

7. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

And thankyou Tidal, for being you.

8. Lara mfl 05

That is one of the sadder things - that he wasn't able to continue interacting with us, at what must have been some very challenging past months. :(

9. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

How do we say goodbye?

I'm so pleased that you've been able to speak directly to us, Tidal. We had some laughs, didn't we?
    Thank you for being a gentleman, for your wise words and for your company.

I wish you peace.

Much love,

Dunty xx

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

His sister has sent personal messages from him (i.e. personal as I understand from other people, not the same cut and post wording) to a number of people that he emailed with.

His technical IT skills were, are, second to none, and he was always willing to help and advise other people. Including me!

I well remember 4 or 5 years ago over the Christmas New Year holidays when he and I were battling alone against Korean spammers. I deleted the spammers, he kept bumping posts to hide them until I could get to them.

I always appreciated his wisdom and attitude.

May the tide bear you away peacefully, old friend.

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ah yes ... the Second Korean War...

Terrible destruction...

12. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

You were one of the “big” names on here when I first started posting on here back in 2004, Tidal: always the calm and balanced voice of reason during often turbulent times. It certainly was like the Wild West at times, but you were a mature presence - much respected by all.

I was very sorry when your posting rights were so unjustly withdrawn, and sorry again to learn of your health difficulties. I’m desperately sorry to learn that you are now so unwell. I hope that you can take some comfort in our good wishes, and that good karma comes your way - that you are comfortable and not suffering at this difficult time. Thinking of you. x

13. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I too am very sad to hear this and have missed Dida...

Did Tidal ever post as Hereward, know he said good by a while back... But perhaps H is still with us in another guise maybe?

I could never keep up with name changes.

Hoping Rac is OK, has anyone any news about him?

HelenREMfan and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  14. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Yes thank you for posting this @TES_Community, especially since you broke your so called, T&Cs in doing so.

The thing I liked about him, was that on the whole, he kept a measured approach to political debate, even though the system was stacked against him.

I also liked the fact that anyone who asked advice about computer issues they were having, would always get a reply that was often helpful.

He introduced us to the Wayback Machine, I recall. A website that retains content from sites that are no longer accessible. I haven't checked, but for anyone relatively new to TES who wonders why certain posters lament the loss of the Opinion forum, they may be able to locate it on the Wayback Machine along with Peronal as it once was; and find themselves bewildered by why the two forums are effectively the one, when originally they were separated by the sort of wall that Trump wants built.

15. Dunteachin

Not demise. He's still with us...

Lara mfl 05 and nomad like this.
  16. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  17. Dunteachin

I believe Tidal has not yet shuffled off this mortal coil.

needabreak, Lara mfl 05 and nomad like this.
  18. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The message I received from his sister finished with "He has days possibly hours left. I will, if at all possible post again once he has passed."

needabreak and Dunteachin like this.
  19. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

I will be forever in your debt in regards to the Wayback machine, Tidal (I'll stick with that handle - what was the Wend one?) I spent days revisiting a music forum I was actively involved with, which was cruely taken away.
    The master of time, there was no beating you on the closest to midnight thread and who in their right mind would show a timelapse of hoovering, when demonstrating your new toy.

sodalime and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  20. Lara mfl 05

Indeed.
    the message I got was
    . . . . is due to pass in a matter of days or hours, he was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer in August. The few family he has are currently on bed watch so there is a living soul with him when he passes.

I'm so grateful that he will have someone with him.

sodalime, colpee and monicabilongame like this.