1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A meeting place in Brum

Discussion in 'Personal' started by guinnesspuss, Dec 1, 2011.

1. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Meeting some friends near New Street station in Brum. None of us know anything about Birmingham. Are there any nice lunch places within walking distance? The Birmingham meet place (The Moat House?) sounds too far away, is it?
    Suggestions? Please?

2. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Depends how much baggage you have to carry, but I would suggest taking a walk to Broad Street to Brindley Place (about a 10 minute walk). The rejuvinated area of the canal (used to have dead and live rats and shopping trolleys when I lived there X years ago).
    Very nice relaxing place.
    Lots of nice Pub grub and other foody choices at reasonable prices. Pubs on Broad Street with standard fayre if you dont want this.

3. guinnesspuss

Thanks.
    No luggage to worry about thank goodness.

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

When I meet my Mum at New Street we always go to the Mail Box for lunch. If you go into the shopping centre and up a couple of levels there is a lovely restaurant called Red Peppers on the right at the far end. They do soup and a sandwich - fabulous value and always tasty.
    There are lots of other eateries to chose from in there.

5. guinnesspuss

Great. I'll google these places. It's always nicer to have someone's recommendations rather than just look at reviews.
    [​IMG]

6. loodle1

loodle1 Occasional commenter

The German Market's on at the moment.There are plenty of places to eat there!

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

The Art Gallery has a cafe. It's at the top of New Street - a few minutes' walk - in Victoria Square. Very easy to find and a lovly destination in its own right. If you're going for a pub lunch, Brindley Place s probably better.

8. Chez Jules does a nice French style lunch always very tasty and not far from the station

9. guinnesspuss

Great suggestions ....Hmmm .... German market!!!
    Is that near New Street by any chance??
    [​IMG]
    Like the look of Red Pepper, Bombay. Will google and pass on other suggestions.
    French style as in 3 hours long? Can do that!

10. Jeez, HS....don't guide these people down the Ladypool Road. :¬))