1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A marking rota?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pumpkinsoup88, Dec 23, 2011.

1. pumpkinsoup88

pumpkinsoup88 New commenter

Hi there,

I have read a few times that some teachers have a marking rota, however I am wondering what this actually entails.

Has anybody set one of these up? Does it mean that you mark say ten books a day properly, and then what happens to the others? Is it effective?

Thank you for your help,
    PumpKinSouP

2. pumpkinsoup88

pumpkinsoup88 New commenter

Hi there,

I have read a few times that some teachers have a marking rota, however I am wondering what this actually entails.

Has anybody set one of these up? Does it mean that you mark say ten books a day properly, and then what happens to the others? Is it effective?

Thank you for your help,
    PumpKinSouP

3. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

I do it subject wise. Depending upon my planning. All the maths books will be marked in detail with comments say twice a week the rest of the time just tick and flick, same with English. In non-core subjects I mark something in detail maybe once a month and on work in between just encouraging comments.
    I do always try and mark the work of the children I am working with and encourage my TA to do the same, (she is mainly only there 1:1 with an ADHD child, but works with a group when she can.) It just makes it a bit easier if you know half a dozen are marked. English I always try and make corrrections when reading through a piece of work in lesson, again it makes the marking a little bit easier.

4. Another way of making marking quicker is to use marking ladders, you put 2 or 3 main learning aims of the leasson into a table, with space for the children to self assess and then space for you to tick, smiley face etc what ever your school policy is. Itr works really well as the children know what you are marking for and will try harder to acheive it with in the lesson, an dit often saves writing the same comments on 6/7 books. Sometimes it is worth making different ladders for haps apps and laps, it may seem time consuming before the lesson but will save evenings of marking. Hope this is helpful.

5. It depends on the marking policy of the school. In mine all books have to be marked in detail. All of them !!!!!!!!!!!!. If you miss a night then your are stuffed as you can never catch up. And before anyone says not all lessons requires writing, in my school is generally does.