1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A lurker finally asks for advice!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by bimbo23, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Hello all,
    I have read you all from afar for a while now and only posted once or twice - this is my first actual post! You are all amazing cooks (Masterchefs in some cases!) so I am hoping some of you may forgive my lurking and offer some advice.

I would like to make a Beef Wellington for a family meal on Saturday but I can't find my recipe! I can picture it clearly - it had a mushroom based pate filling and the beef was wrapped in pancakes to stop the pastry going soggy. This recipe has ignited my desire to make one but I've now gone and lost the damn thing! The only other ones I can find don't seem the same.
    Can anyone guide me in the right direction? Any tips for avoiding the dreaded soggy bottom and ensuring the meat is cooked?

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I've seen this done, with pancakes within the pastry. It might be on one of my cookery books - I'll have a look this evening and post if no-one else has in the meantime
    Welcome to the forum, *****! We're a friendly lot so do pop in again.
    I'm quite jealous of your wellington, you know. One of my favourite things.

3. That looks very similar! Thank you! I'll give it a go and let you know how I get on - fingers crossed!

4. henriette

henriette New commenter

That is a classic recipe - should work for you.

Fingers crossed.

btw, as students, we used to make "Beefburger Wellingtons" with mince!

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Still do, also do kofta in filo pastry, now that is good.

6. Right, have just bought the beef fillet - a gorgeous looking thing from the local farm shop and a total bargain apparently! Is twice as much as I need so the lovely lady butcher who prepared it for me said to cut the rest into steaks and use the middle for the wellington. Now feeling I have bitten off more than I can chew! Wish me luck folks!
    x

7. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Sending vibes from Escoffier high in the sky!!
    You'll be fine, roll out the pastry, lay the pancakes on then the duxelles (posh word for chopped sauteed mushrooms). Heat some butter in a pan, fry the fillet so it's brown all over, rest it, bung it in the pastry, wrap it up, paint with egg and bake.
    Simple.
    What time's dinner? Can I come?

8. I love beef wellington, how fabulous. I am no longer troubled by soggy bottoms since I started using a halogen oven, but I appreciate that this is not an option for everyone so I'm interested in how else people avoid the soggy bottom syndrome? And let us know how your BW turns out?

9. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I've never attempted a beef wellington - largely because I can't stand mushrooms. Do you think I could replace the mushrooms with anything?

10. I've seen variants on menus with liver pate instead of the mushroom duxelle. Didn't try it though

11. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Pate is yummy in BW!

12. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

I prefer it with pate to mushrooms. GF pastry always turns out too sweet/crumbly (and burns easily) so I haven't eaten BW for years - used to be a new year's eve treat.