1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Little Worried

Discussion in 'English' started by DalekTeacher, Mar 31, 2012.

1. DalekTeacher

DalekTeacher New commenter

Hi,
    My class are currently studying for Literature About A Boy and An Inspector Calls. However, we haven't finished About A Boy and have only got to the end of Act One of An Inspector Calls. What is concerning is the exam starts in May. Does anyone have any advice as to how I can get through the analysis of it in time for the exam?
    Dalekteacher.

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Well, the play is very short. Get it finished and then do lots of group work to get everything covered. We've 'done' both our texts twice now but I still have a couple of poems and some English paper work to do when we get back so it's not just you!

3. DalekTeacher

Thank you. I was a little worried because I couldn't see how I am going to do it all in time for the exam. I was wondering if I could ask, what kind of group work tasks do you usually do on the play?
    I've got around ten chapters of 'About A Boy' to do but only at the end of Act One for it.

4. GloriaSunshine

We've been through the texts in class twice so they should know them well. If yours don't, they need to do a lot at home. I do the usual group tasks - each group has a character, theme or whatever and has to find five key quotations and discuss. They put on card with page refs so that a set of cards is produced by the class, and that can be copied. Each group thinks of five questions on one aspect for class quiz. Generally, fifteen minute tasks that generate a revision resource. Unless you have nailed the English paper, I think your group will need to do a lot of the Lit work at home because they need to know the books inside out. They need to be able to find relevant details quickly and you don't have time for teaching texts at that level unless that's all you do for a few weeks. They need to do that at home so that you can revise everything they need for the exams.

5. DalekTeacher

Thank you. I have let them take their copies of the books home over the break and set them to re-read the book in preparation for when they return. They have got to re-do their English exam again.
    Do you think I should be able to get everything covered?

6. GloriaSunshine

You can only do your best. Remember it's Englsh Lang that counts in the league tables, and is required by colleges and employers, so don't neglect that.

7. DalekTeacher

Thanks.
    It is days like this that make me realise how rubbish a teacher I am. I don't know where the time has gone. I haven't been able to get through this any quicker than I have.

8. GloriaSunshine

Maybe you've been too thorough on other parts of the course? Maybe you've let students waste time? Maybe you've lost lots of lessons to whole school things? Whatever it is, you can only do your best with the time you have left. Learn from it and plan accordingly for next year, checking as you go through the year that you are on track. Also, the exams are early this year and that's shaved a week off for us.

9. Four weeks to cover a novel and half a play? Show them the DVD of the play and then get to analysing the key points. I'd be tempted to do the same with the novel unless you are very sure they will read it at home. I think any teaching you do has to be very focused on the exam questions and id be tempted to chuck group work out the window as there is no time for them to discover key ideas by discussion. Tell them the key points and give them practice in applying those to the exam. Make sure you plan your time better next year!

10. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

hey Dalek Teacher
    It is a little late but for the novel is there time to say get your 10 most able/or the A/A* kids to become 'Chapter Experts'? I have done this before and if you ask them to perhaps look at themes, character and pick out three important quotes they could each present this to the class (maybe 20 mins). Tell them they will get EN1 grades for this and use school <strike>bribe</strike> reward system too. You could plan this for the second week back? Is this WJEC by any chance on 22nd May?
    I will be doing Inspector Calls (not decided on novel yet) this time next year and will probably use the dvd, some EN1 activities, detailed character analysis to get through it as quickly as poss (the novel is soooo time consuming). Again, focus on themes and character. HW- choose a character and explain which is their most important scene, and why, and link them to themes and issues.
    Good luck- you still have 4 weeks when we get back.
    Could you make a 'rough guide to About A Boy,' as a revision guide for them?
    The last bit is me thinking about what I might do.
    Liz

11. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

There's a very good IC SoW on The National Theatre web site.