1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A little help with my DT lesson please :) (making instruments from scrap)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by roddywoomble, Mar 15, 2011.

1. roddywoomble

roddywoomble New commenter

I have nearly planned my DT lesson for Thursday, in which I need to have the chn making shakers/rattles out of scrap materials (I did guitars last week) and have decided to allow them to explore different rattles. I've made 4 different 'rattles' by filling plastic lunchboxes with
    1) sand
    2) paper clips
    3) plastic beans
    4) pasta shells

I have covered these lunch boxes with black paper and the chn are going to have to guess what's inside each lunch box out of the 4 options (which I will give them). I want to make sure they're motivated/intrigued so would like to introduce some sort of investigation to do with the way they sound. The only thing I can think of is that they are police investigating robberies and the only clue left was the sound that the robber's rattle made -rather farfetched I know!!

Anyway, the point of this post is to ask if anyone can think of a more original concept for this lesson. I don't think many robbers use rattles when they are robbing!!

Thanks,

Shane

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

What about using your idea of some robbers, who have to use different signals to communicate with each other e g signal 1 means go left, 2 go right, 3 straight on, 4 be still & quiet.
    They could actually act out the signals to test their listening skills, when they've identified the contents.

3. roddywoomble

roddywoomble New commenter

Thanks Lara. I'm wanting to give them a reason for finding the differences though. All I want is for them to identify the different ones and recording what they hear, before recording what was in the box. Any other ideas guys?

Shane