1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A little common sense please!

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by David Getling, Sep 21, 2018.

1. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

So, a few years back, when you started using a tutor website you provided them with a reference, which they were happy with. Since then you have had numerous students through them, and several five star reviews from several of them.

Am I the only one who thinks it's bloody stupid to now ask the tutor to provide another reference? Especially when one is told that ones students (or rather their parents) can provide said reference: what do they think a good review is.

This website needs to exercise some common sense, before annoying clients who have earned them lots of commission. Yes, I can provide lots of references, but really? After doing business with the site for years? And as any sensible person knows, references that one chooses are usually far less value than the freely volunteered reviews.

I get the feeling this is some childish game of my safeguarding is bigger than your safeguarding.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  2. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I haven't been asked for any updated references. But yes it is stupid. Am I right in saying that the references they ask for, no one can see them anyway? Only the people who run the website. Whereas a review is there for everyone to see

3. gainly

gainly Established commenter

I haven't been asked for references so presumably I'm not on this website. I agree it seems a pointless waste of time as most people would select a referee who was going to write something complimentary.

However this did remind me of when I used to lecture at university. One of our professors described two remarkable references.

The first began: "Although I have repeatedly asked this man not to give my name as a referee he persists in doing so."

The second was even better. "Am I meant to know this person?"

Mrsmumbles likes this.