1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A little advice - PGCE student in need of help

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by minnieminx, Apr 27, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

WOW! I can say that if one of my students had formally withdrawn from the course and then said 'oh I was just having a bad day and have changed my mind. Can I come back please?' I'd be seriously unimpressed.

Thinking about giving up is understandable. Talking to your mentor about how stressed you are feeling and how hard you are finding things is fine. Ringing in sick for a day, when actually just needing a rest is understandable (not that impressive, but it happens). Making the decision to withdraw entirely, telling everyone you have, leaving a school to have to rapidly plan and prepare to teach a class all week, and then changing your mind back again is really not.

The teacher will have told her class that you weren't coming back and sorted herself out to teach this term. To have to undo that, especially the telling the children part, with no guarantee you won't have another bad day and leave them in the lurch is a very, very big ask.

It is possible that the school will give you another chance. The most likely is that you start this school experience again somewhere else later as a resit type thing. But it is entirely possible that the university and school say too bad, you chose to withdraw.

Good Luck and I hope you get what is the best outcome.

2. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

From your post, it sounds as if you found you couldn't go in on Tuesday and withdrew from the course on the same day. Did you really do this? Surely the university would have advised you to think about it and tried to talk it through with you a bit?
    You will have lost the confidence of your placement school through your actions and I would think it would be highly unlikely they will accept you back, and not necessarily in your best interests to return, as you are now going to be assessed by a pretty unhappy mentor.
    If you do get the opportunity to return, you are going to have to be prepared to work twice as hard to make up for the inconvenience you've caused.
    You also say "I think I might have made a mistake". I think you really need to stop and work out what you want, as you really don't seem to know but are messing a lot of people about with your rash decisions. Is asking the school to take you back another rash decision?