1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A literally heart-warming story

Discussion in 'Personal' started by florian gassmann, Sep 17, 2019.

1. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Plumber James Anderson in Burnley, who runs a not-for-profit business (Depher - Disabled & Elderly Plumbing and Heating Emergency Repair), sent out the invoice below for a callout to fix the boiler of a dying 91 year-old woman. He has a crowd-funding page to help support his work - anyone living in or near Burnley area who is willing to pledge at least £35 will have their own gas boiler serviced free as well as helping his work.

(I have no connection with his company, save for making a small donation towards such wonderful work): https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/disabled-elderly-free-plumbing-heating-service

For more information on what his company does, see: https://www.depher.co.uk/

upload_2019-9-17_18-9-53.jpeg

emerald52, caress, ilovesooty and 4 others like this.
  2. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Somebody posted this on our work intranet yesterday. I know for a fact that there are people who do this sort of thing, some of my contractors for example. What I very much doubt is that anyone would take the trouble to raise an invoice for £0.00 for such work, unless it's a publicity stunt.

3. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

ilovesooty, Dragonlady30 and nomad like this.
  4. yoda92

yoda92 New commenter

I don't mind publicity stunts like this!

knitone, Dragonlady30 and nomad like this.
  5. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

What a wonderful person.

6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I don't mind it either, but it's worth trying to get your head around the motivation for it.

I employ a range of contractors to do work on the estate I manage and on occasion ask them if they can do jobs for people outside my remit. Those that don't rip my residents off, are more likely to get regular work for things within my remit to place orders for.

Every time I place an order, I'm aware that it isn't my money being spent, so I endeavour to do my best to ensure that local contractors who have been kind to my residents get a look in when contracts for larger jobs are awarded.

They wouldn't get considered if they had a track record of overcharging for something petty. They know they have to be competitive with their quotes and they know that if they quoted silly money to do a job for one of my residents, I'd find a way of doing the job for them myself for free.

7. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

I must admit I'm a bit sceptical. Why would the invoice be written like that? There's more to it than just a kind gesture. It's odd.

8. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Cynic!! :rolleyes:

:D :D :D

9. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

Well maybe, but why send an invoice and why write what he didon it? It would seem more normal to just say to the lady that there is no charge. Why has he made such a big issue of it and written on the invoice what her medical condition was etc? Genuine generosity wouldn't need this. It gives me the creeps.