1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A listening class

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by TEACHER16, Sep 28, 2013.

1. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

I am looking for some advice please on how to ensure every child is ready and listening to all teacher instructions. I have many children who simply find it very difficult to listen and are very bad at talking when I talk.

I try at all times to stop and wait when this happens...and give them the teacher stare...but I know that after break the few children who do this will continue to do it again and again....any ideas would be very much appreciated.

2. How old are the children you are talking about? What have you tried so far, apart from just waiting for them?

My current class (UKS2) started off being rather chatty and some of my boys seemed to think it's ok to hold conversations across the classroom while I - or one of their classmates - was talking. (They had apparently been similar last year...)

I stop talking mid-sentence and stare at them in surprise and horror, but I don't generally wait for very long.

I give them one warning, then they sit on the carpet. Without fail. Each and every single time. They know that if I make them sit on the carpet because of poor behaviour, they lose 10 minutes of Golden Time. If they still talk while they are on the carpet, they lose another five minutes for each time they speak out of turn.

We haven't had repeated interruptions since day 5 of the school year. There's the odd occurrence, when they forget their manners,...but that is usually dealt with by giving them a warning.

We had one lesson, when a very inexperienced student was teaching them and I stood back. My kids had a whale of a time and were back to non-stop interruptions, shouting out and making silly comments. The poor lad could hardly get a word in edgeways. (They wouldn't dare do that with me or my PPA cover standing there,...and stopped as soon as I stepped in.)

I have to admit, though, my class this year are "easy" and on the whole really lovely. My class last year were A LOT of hard work and it took until about Christmas to get them to be quiet.

3. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

I like the idea of asking the child to come onto the carpet. Did you make them do their work on the carpet to and how long did they stay there for?

4. I don't make them do their work on the carpet, since shouting out usually happens when we talk about something as a class, or children share their work, etc. They sit on the carpet and look at the wall until they've calmed down and had a little bit of time to think about the error of their ways. Generally, that's perhaps 5 minutes.

Last week, I made two of my kids sit on the carpet, because they were being mean to someone and not leaving him alone. (Cue child coming up to me in tears.) It was during guided reading, so they spent 15 minutes on the carpet, until we moved to a different activity. (I refuse to leave my guided group on their own, just to deal with their immature and silly behaviour.) They had to complete the work they should have done in those 15 minutes during their lunchtime and we had a chat about what went wrong. Seemed fair enough.

5. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

Yes that does seem fair. I have been trying to train my class not to bother me when I am doing guided reading and yet they still come up to me with questions that could wait. Any tips for that? What advice would you give to the children who continually chat at their desk rather than getting on? (It is the same children every day).

6. We've been doing guided reading since week 2. They know which piece of work to get and to get on with it in silence, once I've started the session. It's the same every day and is very much based on routine. I'm positioned in a way that allows me to see everyone, while working with my guided reading group. It's rare for children to come up to ask me anything, apart from permission to go and get a drink or to go to the toilet. That's usually not a problem. The consequences of silly behaviour and interruption are the same as during any other lesson.

Mine are generally allowed to chat, providing they get on with their work. Most of the time, they are on task and chatting about the work. If work is unfinished, sloppy or wrong due to lack of concentration, they re-do it in their own time. They sit boy/girl at tables of four for English and with a "friend" in Maths. Who are yours chatting with? Could you not split them up?

However, I am rather predictable when it comes to behaviour management. They know the rules, expectations and consequences. I'm generally quite straight-forward and don't tend to pussyfoot around, but then I work in an area where this is quite normal,...so the kids are used to it.

7. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

Pm Sent x

8. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Some very good interventions suggested above. The best way is to reinforce your boundaries with them at all times; for example, not taking questions when you don't want them, even to the point of ignoring a pupil and taking the question of the person who has eg asked properly.

And if they persist, then they need a quick, preferably immediate sanction that invites them to see a link between undesired behaviour and some consequence they don't want. That might be carpet, it might be removal, it might be sitting apart from the others and working, all age dependent.

Good luck

Tom

9. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

Thankyou :)

10. ld7675

ld7675 Occasional commenter

This is helpful advice - I have recently started my school direct training and have had behaviour issues over the last couple of days with the lessons I have taught. Am going back in with clearer behaviour guidelines now and be clearer with sanctions. Thanks