1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A list of Brexit lies exposed . .

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JL48, Nov 1, 2018.

1. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Your maths and reasoning skills are terrible. Good job you're good at Music.
    I didn't say with certainty - I just said that it was a likely proposition.
    You said it, not me. Unfortunately:

2. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Again - disingenuous

Lots of people thought it would come to pass in the event of a Leave vote.

The former boss of the Vote Leave campaign, Dominic Cummings, admitted after the referendum that “all our research and the close result strongly suggests” that Remain would have won without the advert.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...money-remain-poll-boris-johnson-a8603646.html

Please repeat this as FG has me on ignore- he takes it personally when proved wrong about things

Funny- he was quite convinced about the reasons in the past-

JL48 likes this.
  3. Burndenpark

I don't think he's ever claimed that- he just earned his money as a music teacher- that isn't proof that he's actually any good at it.

There's no point posting quotes from me- he won't see them

JL48 and monicabilongame like this.
  4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

But it makes no difference. Remain lost.

5. SirPurrAlot

SirPurrAlot Established commenter

How would two backbench MPs be able to make some future government adopt their spending plans?

Delighted, but like me I think he would want to know how you imagined that two backbench MPs were going to impose their will on the next government - especially as one has now retired. I don't think everyone is as stupid as you when it comes to logic.

6. Burndenpark

I assume you can read?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...money-remain-poll-boris-johnson-a8603646.html

The former boss of the Vote Leave campaign, Dominic Cummings, admitted after the referendum that “all our research and the close result strongly suggests” that Remain would have won without the advert.

“It was clearly the most effective argument, not only with the crucial swing [vote] but with almost every demographic,” he said in 2017.

I suspect that you have a worse position to evaluate the best selling points of the Leave campaign than "The former boss of the Vote Leave campaign, Dominic Cummings," - given that he'll have had feedback from market research and focus groups?

I could be wrong of course and you might have somehow got even better information than "The former boss of the Vote Leave campaign, Dominic Cummings, " about how well different aspects of the campaign he managed did work...
    On the other hand - you could just be clutching at straws.

7. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Well if the vote was so unmoveable before the campaign started it makes you wonder why both sides ran a campaign at all. Why spend all that money the suggesting 350 million a week for the NHS, that Turkey is about to join the EU and there would economic catastrophe when people obviously had made their mind up and even 3 or 4 % couldnt be convinced. Still, even FGs claim of those who had already made their mind up is only based on an opinion poll and we know how wrong they turned out to be..

8. Burndenpark

More to the point...
    The generations who mostly voted leave also were asked repeatedly in opinion polls over the last 40+ years, with a few hiccups we have consistently supported EU membership- it could of course be that people even older were the main supporters and with their passing it left people who opposed the EU behind, but I really doubt that. Which means some have changed their minds.

[​IMG]

9. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

My apologies.

10. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

No need - I was enjoying the debate :)

11. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

@florian gassmann
    from Burdenpark

"Whether the amount on the bus was the gross or the nett figure does not alter the fact that people knew full well that it was a suggestion that could not be implemented by Giselda and Boris."
    Again - disingenuous

Lots of people thought it would come to pass in the event of a Leave vote.

Please repeat this as FG has me on ignore- he takes it personally when proved wrong about things

Of whom more than half had already made up their mind to vote leave, so were not swayed by the bus or anything else. And you have no way of knowing what (if anything) might have swayed the remainder - daft messages on buses from backbench MPs come pretty way down the list for anyone with half a brain.
    Funny- he was quite convinced about the reasons in the past-

12. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

There were quite a few Cabinet ministers involved in the leave campaign. And Boris was never just a backbencher. He was seen as a senior cabinet minister, possibly even PM, in waiting.

13. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Do you always go off on a tangent when you lose an argument?

14. florian gassmann

Well, not exactly an "opinion" poll, was it? It was an actuality poll.

How would they have known that more than half the voters had made up their minds before the campaign started when this information only became available on the day after the vote?

nomad likes this.
  15. florian gassmann

Only Michael Gove. The rest of the vote leave team was:

Gisela Stuart (Chairman of Vote Leave and Labour MP for Birmingham Edgbaston)
    Matthew Elliott (CEO of Vote Leave but not an MP)
    Boris Johnson (Conservative MP for Uxbridge and South Ruislip)
    Dominic Cummings (not an MP)

That is exactly what he was at the time of the referendum.

There is nothing more to be said. Remain lost. It is a fact.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    nomad likes this.
  16. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

On 20 February 2016, following David Cameron's announcement that the EU referendum would take place on 23 June 2016, five Cabinet ministers publicly declared their support for Vote Leave: Michael Gove, the Lord Chancellorand Justice Secretary, Chris Grayling, Leader of the House of Commons, Iain Duncan Smith, the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, John Whittingdale, the Culture Secretary, Theresa Villiers, the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, as well cabinet-attending minister Priti Patel, the Minister of State for Employment.[27][28][29] This was followed by an announcement on 21 February by the then-Mayor of London, Boris Johnson MP, that he would also be backing the Vote Leave campaign.[30][31][32] Boris Johnson subsequently became one of the key figureheads for Vote Leave throughout the referendum campaign.

monicabilongame and FrankWolley like this.
  17. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Vote Leave's own website also appears to disagree with you:

Vote Leave

Vote Leave Campaign Committee
    The Vote Leave Campaign Committee is the governing body that will meet weekly to set the campaign strategy for Vote Leave

Rt Hon Michael Gove MP (Co-Convener) *

Rt Hon Gisela Stuart MP (Co-Convener) *

Matthew Elliott (Chief Executive) *

Dominic Cummings (Campaign Director) *

Steve Baker MP

Ian Davidson *

Nigel Dodds MP

Rt Hon Iain Duncan Smith MP

Rt Hon Frank Field MP

Lord Forsyth

Rt Hon Liam Fox MP

Rt Hon Chris Grayling MP

Dan Hannan MEP

Boris Johnson MP *

Paul Keetch

Lord Lawson

Andrea Leadsom MP

John Longworth

Lord Owen

Rt Hon Priti Patel MP

Dominic Raab MP

Graham Stringer MP

Rt Hon Theresa Villiers MP

Rt Hon John Whittingdale MP

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    monicabilongame likes this.
  18. florian gassmann

No, it includes the five key personnel I listed. It also gives the entire committee. Here, since you seem so reluctant to engage memory, are the two backbench MPs concerned with the bus.

How do you think they would have forced some future government to adopt their spending suggestion?

upload_2018-11-4_14-35-44.jpeg

[​IMG]

19. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Check the link out. It also includes the following people:

20. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

And since you like photos so much:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]