1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A list of Brexit lies exposed . .

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JL48, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

I've never rated economists very highly. Was it T.S Eliot, that great 20th Century Englishman, who wrote of 'prophets who make a profit on each cry?

2. Brunel

Brunel Lead commenter

An unnecessarily tetchy response. Since, as you repeatedly point out, you do not know the future it stands to reason you cannot determine the level of risk involved in Brexit. It may not involve much change for the better or worse. On the other hand it might. People’s views on Brexit are probably determined by whether they feel the level of risk is acceptable. That’s fair enough but denying that there may be a considerable downside to Brexit is simply myopic.

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Not tetchy, simply incredulous that you imagine an EU free trade deal is like buying "shares in an unknown company". Is that what you imagine Canada has done? :eek:

More misrepresentation. I have made no such denial. All I have said is that it is impossible to predict economic trends that might occur years ahead, especially since the details of any future trade deals are not yet known.

peter12171 likes this.
  4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

How much worse can it get? is coming in as the odds on favourite.

5. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Well that's one sort of idiocy.

And this is another.

It's like expecting a doctor to predict a person's life expectancy then criticising them for failing to foresee a fatal RTA.
    However most people are willing to accept their warnings about the risks associated with a particular course of action like smoking or alcohol.

There are times when I really do wonder if the reason mankind left the trees was they fell out and couldn't work out how to climb back.

6. Brunel

Brunel Lead commenter

When an EU trade deal is finally struck and the terms of it are known that’s a valid line of argument. Until then.......
    As for misrepresentation - you referred to Brexit in terms of shopping in a different supermarket and referred to the change as “nothing to get excited about”. So I’m confused. If the possibility of a serious downside to Brexit exists wouldn’t that be something to get ‘excited’ about?

Burndenpark likes this.
  7. Burndenpark

I disagree.

A lot voted on the basis of there being too many foreigners here, considering one Brexiteer has said they would be happy for the GDP to drop to 40th place that gives an idea of the level of understanding we have involved here. (they later back tracked when it was explained that would put us on a similar living standard as Nigeria's).

On here and in RL the vast majority of Brexit supporters I've talked with have no understanding of the economy and so no appreciation of the risks involved.

slingshotsally and FrankWolley like this.
  8. Brunel

Brunel Lead commenter

I did refer to the level of risk that people feel that Brexit involves - by definition that’s a subjective response and some people are going to be wrong. Some Brexiteers have accepted that there will probably be downsides but nevertheless feel that it’s a price worth paying. If concern about immigration is your biggest political concern then you may not be too distressed at the prospect of negative economic consequences. Whether that turns out still to be the case when and if the economic consequences materialise is another matter of course.

9. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

The problem with this is that you can have the same subjective response on a completely different basis. For most people they have no basis whatsoever. They, at least, have an excuse for their ignorance.

Politicians, on the other hand, don't. They should know better and they are paid to know better. But they are showing, almost at every turn, that not only do they not know better, but they don't care.

We, the British public, have been let down in the worst possible way.

slingshotsally and Brunel like this.
  10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

More fear stirring.
    Jaguar is in debt as it over producing and owes a lot of money,,its market in China has not proved as lucrative as it has in the past,Rover is similar in that other cars are proving better and cheaper than Land rovers.....you need a lot of money to buy either car,,,,we in Britain dont buy them as many are outside the range of ordinary folks affordability.
    Its natural that morgatages will be turned down if banks fear redundancies....any lending place should be astute in this one They won't lend if your on basic wage either!
    It is sad that workers are losing thier jobs and hard times ahead..but no job is garuented anymore My daughters workes in a travel firm but they have been forced to re apply for thier jobs....those who do not get offered a job will be on the dole by Christmas..and some have worlked there for many many years.Even worse its a private firm and no one knows what is happening to suddenly require staff to need to re-apply.
    Please by all means complain about tthis and the events,but do just ascribe it to Brexit.

11. oldsomeman

Very true the government joined=d us to us and the vote we haswas whether we wanted to remain,By=ut the sopin was indeed for trade union not a poliitcal union as we have since found out was the hidden agenda of Heath..

12. oldsomeman

You a prophet Peakstar.......wish i knew you would be correct.I could make a fortune on placing bets that it will happen.

13. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

It's not just Brexit. It is the lack of demand for diesel and a a big drop in Chinese sales. JLR have been brave and honest in spelling out that leaving the EU will be detrimental to their business. I saw the letter they sent out prior to the referendum. You don't accept any downside to Brexit , so dismiss it out of hand. I think JLR management knew what they were talking about, personally. You obviously know better than them.

Burndenpark likes this.
  14. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Hidden agenda? The commitment of 'ever closer union among the peoples of europe' has been there since the 1957 Treaty. And looking at old video clips of anti EEC 1970s politicians like Peter Shore it seems that your imaginary hidden agenda was not hidden at all.
    But please point me to where there is in any current EU treaty that states anything about a Political Union as you claim.

eljefeb90 likes this.
  15. burajda

burajda Star commenter

I'm sure they will, but not before April next year.

16. Burndenpark

I've been thinking about what might have inspired your moving abroad...

Had you misunderstood what paella is?

17. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Brexit: Making Europe Foreign Again.

JL48 and Sir_Henry like this.
  18. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Aye. And it were nowt like them Vesta thingies.

Burndenpark likes this.
  19. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

slingshotsally and JL48 like this.
  20. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Interesting story in the Mail linked in your post monica.....
    I wonder if such a story would have been written under Dacre.
    A sign of it shifting away from its heyday of rabid europhobia under its new editor?

monicabilongame likes this.