1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A list of Brexit lies exposed . .

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JL48, Nov 1, 2018.

1. burajda

burajda Star commenter

I don't think we can even start on that until we have withdrawn in March. But what we can say is what type of trading arrangement we generally want to work towards with our EU partners.

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

i seem to recall the then Prime Minister David Cameron implied a third World War could be on the horizon following s leave vote. Something about "settled rows of white headstones".

The then Chancellor, George Osborne, warned of an immediate emergency budget – which, of course, never happened.

Anna Soubry MP claimed a recession would occur simply by a vote to Leave. Didn't happen.

European Council President Donald Tusk, said western political civilisation would be destroyed if the UK voted 'Leave'. And??

"A dangerous fantasy" is how Clegg described Farage's claim of EU plans to create an army. Barely three months on from the Referendum, Juncker has proposed an EU Army.

The entire Remain campaign in 2016 was crafted on a strategy to intimidate voters with scare-stories.

border_walker likes this.
  3. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Whereas the Leave campaign was crafted on a strategy of utter b.ollox and lies. I prefer caution over recklessness. That's why you won't find me bungee jumping, cuddling crocodiles or taking selfies on the top of a chimney stack.

4. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

As a visitor one can currently access the Spanish health system using the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Who knows what will happen to that after Brexit?

Private health care is possible here (at one period our bilingual son was the only non Spaniard on the Sanitas team dealing with Spaniards) but it is of course expensive. Our monthly prescription cost under the Spanish NHS is less than ten euros. It would escalate to hundreds if we went private. We ancients are high maintenance. Mrs M and I between us have undergone five surgical interventions in the past ten years. After each operation the patient receives an itemised breakdown of the cost which concludes the line: 'YOU are not required to pay this account'. The running total is currently in the tens of thousands. While the UK is part of the E.U. it reimburses Spain for the cost of our health care. I shall be amazed if that continues after Brexit.

I use Wigan (we left it 50 years ago) as a metaphor for the UK. We still visit occasionally for research purposes (I've written three books about how it was before the planning blighters knocked the bejasus out of the dear, dirty old town).

My guess is that Brits living abroad are traditionally 'expatriates' rather than migrants because of an ingrained assumption that one day most of them will return to dear old Blighty. Although we live on an olive farm far from Benidorm (another metaphor) there are droves of the old dears in the surrounding villages who have been here for years, moaning about the bureaucracy (don't get me started on the UK version) and the fact that the woman in the post office doesn't understand Geordie. They haven't bothered to apply for Residencia and more than a few of them boasted of voting for Brexit.

Burndenpark likes this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Makes no difference does it - in a few months time we will leave and then we can all begin to enjoy the falling standards in our health service , pollution levels, food and many of the other wonderful benefits that isolationism will bring.

monicabilongame likes this.
  6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Or we will leave and begin to enjoy the improving standards that independence will bring.

(If you think you have a monopoly on knowing the future, please let us know the winner of the 12.15 at Newmarket tomorrow)

7. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Why didn't you vote Leave in 2016?

8. burajda

burajda Star commenter

I think a lot of migrants to the UK think the same. My Cypriot and Ghanaian neighbours certainly do. They are getting on a bit and Mehmet accepts that he may only end up going back in a box.

9. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Yes. I have relatives who live near Valencia, they voted to Leave and they dont really speak any Spanish even though they've lived there for years.

10. florian gassmann

Because I thought remain to be a marginally better option, as I have explained here countless times before. But I cannot predict the future (especially in economics) any more than anyone else. It's a bit like shopping at Waitrose or Marks and Spencer, or belonging to the AA or the RAC - the difference is nothing to get so excited about (unless your name happens to be Laura Kuenssberg, of course).

nomad likes this.
  11. Mainwaring

And (pace Adrian Henri:

'Pigs will be sighted flying in formation over Woolton
    and Nelson will not only get his eye back but his arm as well'.

Burndenpark and ilovesooty like this.
  12. florian gassmann

So you think you can predict the future, Mainwaring? Please tell us tomorrow's winner in the 12.15 at Newmarket. Oooh, and some National Lottery winning numbers would be nice, while you are at it.

nomad likes this.
  13. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Looks like the courts will be deciding who was actually dishonest.

Good.

monicabilongame and ilovesooty like this.
  14. Brunel

Brunel Lead commenter

You’re right, we don’t know the future and Brexit may turn out to be ok. But I don’t think your analogy of supermarket shopping reflects the situation we will be in. Brexit is more like taking your investments out of tried and trusted funds and using all your money to buy shares in an unknown company. The value of those shares may rise, stay the same - or fall through the floor. It’s a high risk strategy that canny investors (like yourself) would be unlikely to undertake.

Burndenpark likes this.
  15. Mainwaring

Not my prediction, but Adrian Henri's. Judging by the Good Ol' Boy nexus's support of President Trumpet and their consequent vilification of Obama, he got the next bit right, too:

'White Americans will demonstrate for equal rights
    in front of the Black House
    And the Monster has just created Dr Frankenstein'.

16. florian gassmann

Eh? Nobody is proposing to do that. The proposal is to carry on trading with the EU on tariff-free terms, as we do at present.

If the situation was anything even remotely similar to your misrpresentation of Brexit, people would certainly not contemplate it.

17. Scintillant

Anything short of wholesale disaster will be claimed as a success.

It won't be pretty. Everyone knows it.

monicabilongame and Burndenpark like this.
  18. florian gassmann

If the learned professorial staff of the London School of Economics was, as the Queen pointed out, unable to predict the 2008 financial crisis, the chances of the late Adrian Henri being able to predict the state of UK trade in ten years time is considerably less than zero. I'd place more faith in your ability to predict tomorrow's winner in the 12.15 at Newmarket. ;)

19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Brexit is a massive gamble - pure and simple.

Do you gamble with your country and it's economy ?

monicabilongame and Burndenpark like this.
  20. Scintillant

Unfortunately, economic orthodoxy is way behind science in terms of looking at evidence and analysing it correctly. It is still in thrall to free markets and unfettered capitalism. No one wanted to see the crash coming. And too many organisations hid the amount they were leveraged to. And too many people were making good money saying everything was fine.

And many economists are just not that bright.