1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A list of Brexit lies exposed . .

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JL48, Nov 1, 2018.

1. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Makes no difference now does it.

Burndenpark likes this.
  3. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Politicians lying? Surely not.

4. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I am still too angry about this to reply coherently. To anyone with half a brain the lies and potential harm to the country were obvious at the beginning - we had enough people who knew their stuff warning us - and the evidence has only been growing ever since. Some people were suckered in by the lies, put stupidity is not culpability. What dismays me even more is the attitude of those who should know better - not the stupid, or the selfish and the greedy who will only gain personally from this, but the ones who by now should be able to see clearly the effects on the country, its social cohesion, its economy, its public services, and who still refuse to. Willful blindness and ignorance because they can't bear to have been proved wrong.

I said in 2010 that Cameron was like a new headteacher brought into an inconvenient school for the sole purpose of dragging it down to a point where the powers that be could say it needed to be closed, and the premises sold off for a profit. Nothing that has happened since with this government has persuaded me to change my mind.

5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Just because some people don't believe in your "cliff edge" paranoia, it does not follow that you must be right and they must be wrong.

As I have been saying for more than two years now, leaving the EU with a good trade deal and (as has apparently been agreed within the last 24 hours) a deal for our important financial services industry to continue as before, is unlikely to make much difference to anybody. In time to come, people will look back and wonder what all the fuss was about.

And you cannot see that the same accusation could be levelled at you? :eek:

peter12171 and Jesmond12 like this.
  6. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

7. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

Most foreign news agencies have moved on from Brexit, but outside of the American alt right and the Russian media, it is viewed as a massive retrograde step. A deal of some sort will probably be forthcoming but I think there will be more losers than winners. One of those losers will be car manufacturing. There is a concatenation of negatives for this industry. It is foreign owned, with largely European supply chains crisscrossing borders. Just in time manufacturing is predicated on free flows at borders. Add in the diesel scandal and you give foreign owned companies a perfect reason to disinvest. Two thousand workers have lost their jobs at my local car factory, three miles away , the Jaguar plant is on three days a week. The Land Rover plant is currently shut down for two weeks. Workers at JLR have been refused mortgages and there is a lot of concern about the future of my neighbours' jobs.
    I don't work there, neither does anyone in my family. I recognise, however, that JLR is the keystone of the local economy. Perhaps I should rejoice that the roads are empty around here?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    slingshotsally likes this.
  8. florian gassmann

I think you've shown us before, Geoff, that you cannot tell the difference between a government promise and a suggestion made by a multi-party grouping (albeit, one led by a very nice Labour MP who subsequently resigned).

(Whose the mustachioed guy in your comic strip supposed to be, by the way?)

nomad likes this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Turkey was joining until the EU decided to stop negotiations after Erdogan's Turkey became more repressive after the coup... highest number of journalists in prison.
    Health tourism is estimated to cost £100 million - £300 million a year.
    Both my parents and aunts/uncles old enough to vote in the 70s have said they thought they were voting to join a free trade zone.
    When it came to EU migration ''freedom of movement'' meant we couldn't control our borders.
    I don't remember anyone mentioning the Irish border prior to the referendum. Might have been mentioned sure... but it wasn't a big issue.

This use of straight out distortion by the die-hard Remainers is so frustrating... I voted Remain, I was disappointed the next day.... that two years later these distortions and lies are still pumped out ad nauseum... just tiresome.

peter12171 likes this.
  10. richest1

richest1 Occasional commenter

Couldn't agree more.

How about a list of lies from the RE moaners and a second list from the various institutions that have a vested interest in staying in the EU for their own financial ends.

peter12171, nomad and Jesmond12 like this.
  11. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

The leavers peddled their lies about both Turkey and health tourism.

That's odd. Because we never had a vote to join.

Of course we could. It's just that successive UK governments chose not to.

And you have omitted the lies from the leavers about "being like Norway" - "only a madman would leave the single market"

Two-plus years ago the electorate was fed a pack of lies and distortions, resulting in a small majority for Leave.

Now the lies are coming home to roost.

I favour democracy over authoritarianism.

12. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Will my IRISH cat be deported due to Brexit?

slingshotsally and irs1054 like this.
  13. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

As long as your cat has the required documentation as demanded by the Home Office according to rules brought in by Theresa May when she was Home secretary plus any other nick-nacks they can think of in their pursuit of a "hostile environment", then your cat should be fairly safe. (probably)

PS if you can get it to meow and purr with a Thames accent it might help.;)

sabrinakat likes this.
  14. florian gassmann

Even remainers said Norway was not suitable for the UK. The LEADER of remain said to Andrew Marr on national TV on 6th June 2016 that it would be impossible to copy the Norwegian model.

And two-plus years on, it sounds like nothing has changed.

15. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Your cat will be the first to be deported due to its colour, if previous actions by this government are anything to go by.

16. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Tony Cascarino managed it pretty well

17. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Wellllll yes there is Health tourism- mostly it's down to ex-pats who want to come back to the UK for operations and be close to their families.

For some reason that's not made clear:confused:
    I expect people would be just as outraged if it was:rolleyes:

18. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

So what are the details of this trade deal allegedly agreed in the past 24 hours? I seem to remember reading that this isn't going to materialise.

slingshotsally likes this.
  19. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

I am a British expat (if 'ex-pat' meant anything it would be an Irishman who had renounced his citizenship). As a permanent resident of Spain, which has the third best public health system in the world (waiting time in A&E is about 30 minutes in our local hospital) my least likely health tourism destination would be the British NHS. I chose the country which has been my home base for more than twenty years because it is part of the E.U. with all its associated benefits, including health care. I am of course deeply concerned that the sorry gang of clowns currently pretending to be the UK government may make it necessary for thousands of us exiled ancient to descend like locusts on an already staggering NHS. More to the point, I don't fancy moving back to Wigan.

suem75, JL48, mathsmutt and 3 others like this.
  20. burajda

burajda Star commenter

The Spanish NHS system is pretty good but you do have to get residency to access it don't you? Relatives have told me that and the French one too. But why do you think you'll have to return to Wigan? I also know a lot of Brits go private.
    Just out of interest - why is it Brits living abroad are called expats and anyone from anywhere else is a migrant?