1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Light in the Window

Discussion in 'Personal' started by florian gassmann, Jul 4, 2020.

1. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Just a reminder that as a prelude to tomorrow's 72nd anniversary of the founding of the NHS, people are invited to place a light in their windows this evening at 8pm, as a memorial to those who have died in the coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53287908

[​IMG]

(But be careful if you use candles, folks!)

LiamD and mothorchid like this.
  2. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Nice idea - I hadn't seen this.

3. Wilbur_Post

Wilbur_Post New commenter

Best not use a red one.

ilovesooty, WB, Ro13 and 3 others like this.
  4. florian gassmann

<snigger>. I think NHS blue is the answer if you must use a colour. ;)

5. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Or a blue one given the talk of defunding.

6. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Better still, resolve never to vote for this bunch of useless incompetents ever again.

7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Who thought this up ?

8. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

More empty gestures.

Filling the pubs, relaxing the rules, meaning the NHS will be under pressure on the front line again but hey yeah, light a candle and keep voting Tory.

knitone, Alice K, Laphroig and 3 others like this.
  9. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

No idea but Boris gave it the green light.

catbefriender likes this.
  10. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Tokenism

knitone, Laphroig and sbkrobson like this.
  11. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Ten years is a long time in politics.

LondonCanary likes this.
  12. Oscillatingass

No doubt it was Dominic Cummings. He probably had the idea while holidaying at Barnard Castle.;)

Jamvic, Alice K and rosievoice like this.
  13. florian gassmann

I believe it is a combined effort from Health Campaigns Together, Keep Our NHS Public and We Own It.

This weekend's Premier League and Championship football matches in England will begin with applause for the NHS before kick-off. Various buildings and landmarks will be lit up in NHS blue, including the Houses of Parliament, Blackpool Tower, the SEC Armadillo, the Shard and the Wembley Arch will be lit up in the NHS's signature blue.

At 8pm the dean of St Paul's Cathedral in London will light a symbolic candle of remembrance as the key for those who wish to place a light in their own window.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Oscillatingass likes this.
  14. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

How nasty, something which is seen as a way of saying thank you to those who have saved countless lives is meet with sneering and cynicism.

15. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

No not sneering or cynicism on my part. It could be any political party giving it the green light. Public shows of appreciation do not sit comfortably with me ( think also the applause scenario )....

Laphroig likes this.
  16. Oscillatingass

I think some of the usual suspects were petrified it was a Tory idea so wouldn't want it to be given any credit.

17. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Well doing no harm I suspect but achieving very little in real terms too

Jamvic and lunarita like this.
  18. florian gassmann

All it is intended to do is to act as a focus for us to remember the 44,000+ who have died from Coronavirus in the UK, including friends and relatives, and especially to remember those brave members of the NHS who have lost their lives in order to help the rest of us survive.

LiamD likes this.
  19. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Candles in houses are a big cause of house fires. And they're polluting. I don't think it's uncaring to find these gestures empty, and to feel that they are an attempt at distraction from the government's appalling handling of the crisis.

lunarita likes this.
  20. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

A better gesture would have been for everyone to donate the cost of a candle to a suitable charity. But there'd be no Instagram mileage in that.

knitone, Laphroig and lunarita like this.