1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A life of cataloguing and coding

Discussion in 'Personal' started by neddyfonk, Sep 19, 2019.

1. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Am I the only person who gets the obvious binary hexadecimal joke in those cans?

;)

sbkrobson likes this.
  2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Well I don't get the binary bit, but I get the hexadecimal bit because I have a good reasons why...

3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Well.
    Staggered.
    That's a genius idea! You could also have
    ///keeps.saying.methinks
    ///grammar.police.hypocrisy
    ///not.actually.teacher
    ///only.posts.links
    ///funny.after.alcohol
    ///big. Brexit. bore
    ///must. mention. nazis (that's of course an instant "brown")
    and many many more.

In fact, I'm surprised nobody has suggested this already. Why on earth should we have to remember posters by their name when it is far more compact to allocate each member a three word code,and then in the adjacent cell on your spreadsheet add their username? Thus when you see a new post appear while you are waiting there with your sandwich and Rubik's cube, you simply search the username on the spreadsheet to see the three word code before reading the post.
    You'll never actually have to think about the content of a single post ever again. I love it.

nomad and (deleted member) like this.
  4. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Depends if you like mint imperials. I always carry a pack when travelling on buses and offer one if I would like to break the ice. If you want to avoid a chat, just bury your head in a book.

5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Mint imperials are very bad for the teeth, not that I have many left at my age.

6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

:eek:
    I think I've met you.
    In six different towns.

1 person likes this.
  7. magic surf bus

Furthermore, by activating conditional formatting Excel will colour the spreadsheet cells automatically according to their current numeric or alphanumeric value. Imagine the fun you could have with algorithms devised to denote a poster's real time value. It would be akin to operating a trader's desk at The Stock Exchange.

SELL @porkbellies !!!

sbkrobson likes this.
  8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Just. Wow.
    It is your "informative and helpful" posts which have already long since allowed me to colour code you at burnt ochre, but at this rate you'll be due cadmium yellow for "innovative and incisive" next July!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    magic surf bus likes this.
  9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I used to carry an ice-pick to break the ice but not many people liked that. :rolleyes:

neddyfonk likes this.
  10. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Some people might think that you are joking :)

11. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I have just spent an enjoyable 10 minutes learning something new - as in, exactly what this dotty square is (didn't know it was called a QR code); finding out how they work, downloading a code reader app onto my elderly Samsung, and creating a QR code for my website (tested by using the newly downloaded app, which I then used to scan @LondonCanary 's QR code, and having a chuckle.
    What fun!
    Of course, I am a dinosaur luddite who has only just recently started using WhatsApp, so what do I know?
    Colour me beige/brown!

nomad and LondonCanary like this.
  12. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Of course I am joking - you would not want to spoil their little fizzogs and they would learn how to avoid detection by putting a hand (or sticky label) over it. An implanted microchip is far better;).

mothorchid likes this.
  13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

:D

14. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Probably. What film is it from? I cannot see all the cans and not sure how you are decoding it ( unless you are just joshing us ).

15. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Possibly one of my siblings? Sextuplets are rare, but fun.
    sextuplets.jpg

Attached Files:

16. magic surf bus

A word of caution - some QR Code creation apps aren't as neutral as they appear. They are set up to occasionally divert users to sites other than the one you think they're going to. Seriously. In effect they're promotional software, or worse, disguised as a helpful app. I would imagine the open source QR apps at sourceforge.net are reasonably trustworthy but I can't guarantee it 100%.

17. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

[​IMG]

magic surf bus likes this.
  18. magic surf bus

A perfect explanation @monicabilongame of why I with my borderline 'O' Level Maths pass have found spreadsheets (of my own devising, not SLT's) so handy. I was using them to print statement banked reports years before SIMS raised its ugly head, and it certainly wasn't rocket science. :)

Excel is the only feature of MS Office that I actually liked (when placed in responsible hands) - like an antidote to Powerpoint.

19. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

I’m an Excel fan, too, and think the what.three.words concept is very clever. I reckon it should be used much more than it is - I still mostly use postcodes and OS maps to get around. It’s amazing how much information can be conveyed in just a few characters...

(3.1.5.1.5.1.5.1.5.1)

20. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I love your idea of three words to describe a poster and have mentally made a start on a few already. Sounds like a fun game, guess the poster from the three word description...

Guess who this is:
    I.will.start