1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Levels at 19?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by disguise, Apr 5, 2011.

1. When I taught A level, I taught a girl who was actually the same age as me. So it's stupid she is not allowed to do it. Try another college.

2. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Established commenter

All the ones in reasonable travelling distance seem to have the same policy.

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Is there an Adult Education 'A' Level option at one of the colleges?

I retook an 'A' Level as a private entry candidate after studying for it independently at home, and that ws the year after I left the upper sixth, but it was many moons ago and no coursework needed marking in those days. Presumably the private entry route still exists if an examination centre can be arranged?

4. ROSIEGIRL

The Adult or 19+ A Levels are all in the evenings.

5. ROSIEGIRL

Just to update - had a chat with Student Services today. The lady
    there said that over 19s on the daytime A level courses was at the
    discretion of the course manager and to get in touch with him. She
    seemed quite confident it would be ok!
    The course manager
    interviewed my daughter last year and seemed to take a bit of a shine to
    her - and her GCSE results - so hopefully all will be well.
    Many thanks for your responses!
    RG

6. I have had some experience of this close to home.
    I think you/she need to look at education slightly through a prism at this stage. A levels are what the English system says you need to do to get into University. This is true for most of the UK wanting access at 18/19.
    I certainly think an access course would be a good way of moving forward, since it is a mistake to think A levels are the be and end all of education. They are not. They find the persons best able to comply with the system.
    Of course, it depends what she wants to do, but I would not waste time revisiting "the system" when there are ways around it. The close to home went to Uni without finishing her A's either ( bored stiff, having a crisis) and now she has found her niche, even if they did have to spend a year proving her capability, and how capable they are now. If you talk to Universities and she already has a talent, you may find A levels are not actually all they appear to be. Nothing risked, nothing gained.
    There are lots of conversion courses out there, or try a different country. The UK is not actually the best country in Europe in producing young people ready for University level, and you could find better provision in Europe with more imaginative entry criteria, or just bounce up as a mature student?
    Have you thought that your daughter may also find it uncomfortable to be a 19 year old starting A level with a bunch of 16 year olds? Or maybe find something with OU?
    One thing I do know, is that despite having 3 excellent A levels from the good old days, when apparently they were much "harder", no-one ever asks me about them in employment or relevance to anything. View the task of getting her where she wants to be as imaginatively as you can is my advice.

7. ROSIEGIRL

Thanks huevosrancheros - you make a good point about thinking outside the normal routes. However, the limitations of local availability plus the complications of her illness do put some constraints on her options.
    She quite likes the idea of an access course but the choice is very narrow locally and they fall into quite defined career/subject routes. At the moment she has no idea about what she wants to do at uni or after. Also the 2 subjects she loves fall into different access categories so she couldn't do them. Going abroad, with severe and long running anorexia isn't an option either, I'm afraid.
    She will be a 'young' 19 - both chronologically and in personality, though her illness has made her more mature in some ways. I just want her to stay well enough to complete the course this time!
    Thanks again.

8. Anorexia is a complicated disease. I was thus in my A levels in the mid/late 70's.
    Often, as you know, self control underpins the motive for it, often wishing to escape the boundaries that have hitherto been put on the young person.
    The relative I speak of had alienation from the monotonous curriculum of A level, but was also a rape victim, so I know about the strength of the young to recover quite quickly.
    In my view, the sooner such girls are given back their lives, the better, and festering about their old schools will not achieve that, and nor will planning their futures on their behalfs. Sorry if that is harsh to say.
    It may be tough, but I sense you may have to let her do this for herself, and if she isn't up to it, then wait a bit.

9. ROSIEGIRL

These ARE her choices and opinions - I'm just representing them on here for any helpful advice.

10. Can I just say how sorry I am that it's been so difficult for your daughter to get a place at an FE college for the courses she wants to do (it's not the same everywhere!. Also, I don't think she'll feel too out-of-sorts studying in FE. Thinking about my current classes for A level music, for instance, I've got 16 - 18 year old students in with a 22, 23 and 30 year old and it's absolutely fine! In fact, the younger ones really look up to the older ones and do their absolute best to make sure that they respect their needs.
    Good luck to your daughter, btw.

11. ROSIEGIRL

Thank you!

12. ROSIEGIRL

Just a quick update - the course director has agreed to have her back on the AS course and funding should be ok too.
    Thanks for everyone's interest.

13. Glad to hear it, I wish both of you well

14. I took 3 years to do my A levels so I only finished mine when I was 19 almost 20

15. Have you tried another school ?. A friend of mine did 2 years at her first school doing A levels and completely flunked the lot. She applied for a sixth form place at another school and did another two years following two totally different A levels to what she tried first time round. Then went to University. She wasn't bothered being nearly 21 leaving school as she was a September baby she was nearly 19 starting them and nearly 21 leaving !. She needed the structure of school. In the those days, 6th form students had to be school for the full school day. It didn't worry her spending 4 years in the 6th form.