1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Level to GCSE or SEN?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Lynn Whitmore, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Lynn Whitmore

Lynn Whitmore New commenter

Hi

I'm a mature teacher with several years to go before retirement and have been teaching in the post-16 sector for 22 years (Business, ICT, some ESOL). More recently I've been teaching A Level French very successfully which I really enjoy as I love the language, literature, culture etc. I have 3 degrees and all the acronyms required for teaching.

However numbers are falling in French, and so have my contracted hours to 0.39, and it is no longer enough to live on with the commute. I have to make extremely urgent decisions on where to go next as a result, preferably from January 2016. The options are potentially moving into secondary French (I have rusty German which I'd be willing to refresh) or possibly SEN (I've had numbers of students with disabilities ranging from profound deafness to dyslexia etc and my future son in law has several such disabilities including autism).

Either way I have to do something soon. I kicked off by asking our in house head of student support how to get into SEN without success. I've applied for secondary French jobs, but have had no interviews.

I don't know whether this is ageism or lack of experience but would be very very grateful for suggestions as to how to get into both routes. Thank you very much indeed!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It may be ageism, although we know that this is illegal, but it may also be inappropriate experience.

You see, they may be looking for someone who can teach Year 7 as well as the Sixth Form.

And what exactly do you have in the way of a teaching qualification? I ask because application forms usually ask if you have QTS. If you have QTLS, then this counts as QTS, so do tick Yes at this point. However if you don't have QTLS or QTS itself, this also may be a problem.

https://www.atl.org.uk/help-and-advice/school-and-college/qtls-recognition-england.asp

3. Lynn Whitmore

Lynn Whitmore New commenter

Hi Theo

I have QTLS, am a Fellow of the Education and Training Foundation, and have DBS. I have a PGCE and an MEd. My question is how to get into GCSE or SEN without the experience as this is only at A Level at present.

Many thanks for any tips.
    Best wishes.

4. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Even with a teaching shortage in languages I think you may struggle without any experience of KS4, and more importantly for you, KS3 teaching.

SEN is even harder..

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Catch 22.

Without experience you cannot get experience teaching these levels . . . All you can do is apply and see if they are impressed by your application. But it will be hard if you are in competition with candidates who are trained and experienced at KS3-4.

As for SEN, that is perhaps even trickier without the opportunity to do SEN work bit by bit in a school. You could try asking on this forum

Best of luck