1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A level Textiles...

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by cgurney, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Hi everyone,
    I'm an NQT just starting teaching some of the AQA product design textiles A-level, going to start with communication of ideas and sketching, Just wondered if anyone knew of any really useful books I could read...

Or just any books that will help me teach any of the spec.

Thankyou :)

2. Hi everyone,
    I'm an NQT just starting teaching some of the AQA product design textiles A-level, going to start with communication of ideas and sketching, Just wondered if anyone knew of any really useful books I could read...

Or just any books that will help me teach any of the spec.

Thankyou :)

3. We use
    Textiles at the cutting edge by Lesley Cresswell with the kids
    Textile innovation by Ros Hibbert

we also find the Sue Jenkyn Jones book (Fashion ?) and Technology of Textile Properties good - but these are kept to staff copies as are 'college' books

If you are doing the AQA spec then there is a resources list (from the old spec) must admit I havent seen an updated one for the new spec

If you post your email address I can get a copy of it to you - Ive taught the AQA A level for about 7 years so have compiled quite a bit over the years. Let me know if there's anything you need and I'll email that too.

If you have copies lying around we have found that the old style home ecomonics / O level textbooks are really quite good for the basics of materials and components theory eg Finding out baout Textiles by Gillian Jones and All about fabrics

Good luck

4. Hi Killen 23..
    I have been teaching the Edexcel Textiles A-level but
    am changing to AQA.
    Any advice you can offer on projects in yr 12 would
    be useful? Do you do smaller projects or one big one?

Do you separate theory from coursework or teach relevant theory to the project???

Any good tips would be very much appreciated?
    Any good resources/book?
    Many thanks
    Betsey337 (email is edwoa001@rbwm.org)

5. You are aware that if you take the portfolio route at AS then you could re-use some or all of the student's GCSE work? If not then sit down and mark the GCSE work against AS criteria. Only moves up about a grade and many of the textiles projects I see handed in for GCSE Product Design would score very highly at AS. So why would you want to do this I hear some people ask? Simple, it is a safety net which allows and encourages students to take risks. If it goes belly up then it doesn't matter. Lots of scope for things that can be done in a day being included in the portfolio. Now that does give you some freedom!

6. I personally find this confusing........I thought we could only include 2-3 pages of GCSE in the AS folder. Is it me ? but my students think it odd that they can submit work again which has already been marked and moderated. This is also a disadvantage for pupils who did not do tex at GSCE.

7. Hi Killen23
    A colleague has just moved to the role of Textiles Director in a new school, which will include A Level Textiles. Although her fashion making skills are excellent and she's a great teacher, she has some concerns about A Level SoW etc. I know she'd appreciate any tips:
    LouiseQ78@hotmail.co.uk
    Thanks

8. Hi,
    I am starting As Level textiles AQA and have really struggled finding information on textbooks and the delivery of it. Is it possible if someone could send me thier scheme of work so I can check it against mine please? and could you tell me the type of products you make ?
    my email address is s_abdulhussein@hotmail.com
    I would really appreciate any help.
    Thank you

9. my daughter is entering the second year of this course at A level and there doesnt seem to be a scheme of work or books to help. If anyone has any schemes or anything else that may help, i would be grateful for any advice. my email is
    sylvia@jennerjones.co.uk

many thanks.

10. Hi I am also just starting to teach AS level AQA Textiles, I am also trying to find books etc.
    Could anyone suggest books or information I could read to help me teach this?
    My e-mail is: veronicaflavell@mac.com

With thanks

11. Hi I am running the course as a one of this year, I normally do Art textiles but our school is a little different, (forces shool in Cyprus) I wandered if you could let me have a copy of your schemes of work and any usefull tips, my idea was to base the project arround unwanted garments - general starting points; Disasemble garment = A3 sheet, research alternative garment that could be made from the garment, designs that match =properties of fabric, suitable target group, occation ect, A3 sheet showing working drawing pattern pieces, method of making, then the student would make the new garment then evaluate it???? not sure if this is a good idea or not. She would do as many as we have time for over the next 6mth then prp 4 the exam. Poss put on a mini fashion show at the end.

12. I wondered whether you might be able to help, I have just taken on an A2 group as an NQT and am feeling a bit lost about what actually needs to go in the portfolio and what else needs to be completed. Is there anywhere that outlines this, I'm just looking for some sort of breakdown to help me.
    Many Thanks

13. We were advised at the AQA meeting to focus on fashion items (preferably more than one) that have complex structures and suface enhancement. Students can use a commercial pattern, but must make considerable alterations to it, or make their own. I have a dvd from AQA, which shows a high level A2 project. It is a pair of short simple silk pyjamas, and a fantastic black kimono with a huge chinese dragon on the back. Simple and complex at the same time. Mine are making all sorts of things. One is making a christning robe as an heirloom, another is making a dress and jacket based on the 80's, and a lot are making jumpsuits, which are probably going to be very complicated and I will probably regret letting them make them at some point.
    I have the original notes from the meeting somewhere if you need any more info. One thing we were told at the meeting, was that there would almost certainly be a question based around designers and the history of fashion on the A2 paper, and to steer candidates toward this, rather than some of the horribly complex questions, about mens jackets or other technically difficult questions. HTH

14. Hi, just started AS level textiles for the first time too....if anyone has any suggestions for projects, SOW etc I'd be v grateful, have looked everywhere and am struggling! Many Thanks
    francesandchris@btinternet.com

15. Hi,
    I am also an NQT an am just starting to teach the new AQA product design textiles course to year 13's. I already have the book you mentioned (Textiles at the cutting edge by Lesley Cresswell) but as with the other posters am struggling to find good resources for delivering the theory elements of the course (on the AQA website the textiles links seem to no longer be there?).
    I would be really grateful for any info you have (even relating to the old spec) that you may be willing to share. My e-mail address is: sarahveronabland@googlemail.com.
    Thanks in advance for any welcome advice

16. I am starting to teach AQA A Level Textiles too and would appreciate any resources s_tang_uk@yahoo.co.uk. Thanks

17. This is my bible. It is second to none for technical stuff, and has history of fashion. I couldn't do the course without it. Textiles at the Cutting Edge, the Lesley Cresswell book, doesn't go into enough detail for AQA.
    Here is the link:.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clothing-Technology-Eberle-Von/dp/3808562242/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1261080427&sr=1-2. Ignore the price of £99.00 this is wrong. Myself and colleauge have this book, and couldn't manage without it.
    We are switching to lots of mini projects for AS next year, rather than one long one. In these we intend to do menswear, ladieswear, childrenswear, accessories and interiors, whics cover the main areas of textile production. The menswear one is going to involve redesigning shirts frpom old shirts (!?) and therefore covering all sustainable stuff. Childrenswear is covering a lot of health and safety stuff, ladieswear will cover fashion illustration and still not sure of the rest!

18. I have read this thread before but not commented as I had also started my own........... I just have to say I really wish the examiners and D and T staff at AQA would read it because every single one of us feels the same about this specification and the lack of support for the theory papers at both AS and A2. The big problem is that the spec is so vague that we as teachers don't know what to cover even though we do our best. I feel as though I am letting my students down and it is unfair. I also feel as though I am lying when I am encouraging students to follow this at a'level these days. Textiles is really popular at my school and we currently have 30 doing a'level across the two year groups. At leats half of those wish to go into some aspect of fashion design at the end of the course - the exam board are not providing equal opportunities for these students to achieve high grades if they continue to have such a vague and unsupportive approach to the theory side of this subject. Discuss! (lol)

19. Totally agree. I have broken down the specification subject content with a fine tooth comb and tried to 'explian or convert'' it into pupil speak - which has to be pretty clear even at A level! the first section - Materials and components takes up 11 pages. i'm just working my way through the other 2 sections. For any other subject this sort of information would be clearly set out in a much more interesting way in a book but alas we do what we can! I am really disheartened by the subject content - it is both vague and repetitive in places. I try to deliver theory in a weekly separate lesson. I know that it is supposed to be delivered through coursework but I don't find that works for many reasons. Trying to cover everything is a mammoth task and that's before we have even mentioned the coursework projects! And you can be sure that if I haven't covered something it will appear in an exam and who is the first to complain - students and parents!! I need to have a rant about this. Anyone know of any other Post 16 courses that can be done in same time as A level?