1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Level students without a C in GCSE English

Discussion in 'English' started by english.teacher, Sep 14, 2012.

1. english.teacher

english.teacher New commenter

Hello,
    Just wondering what other centres do when students start at Sixth Form without a C in GCSE English/ Maths?
    If they've stayed on to your 6th Form, what are the arrangements for students in your school? Do they HAVE to get their C in English?

2. seaviews

seaviews New commenter

YES. They can't go onto university or other HE courses without it.
    They have to already have at least a C in English Language if they want to do English at A level, but we also offer GCSE re-sits to students who have 5+ GCSEs in other subjects.
    All students need a grade C in maths too and can re-sit if necessary.

3. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

Ditto

4. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

We don't let them in. Our sixth form has more than doubled in size in the last 3 years and we're now requiring in English and Maths to get in. We used to let them in and run resit groups, but that cost too much, apparently.
    We specify B now. We still have quite large groups, considering we're a school VI form.

5. Thing is, and I don't wish to disparage anybody here, but a student with a C in English Language or Literature will struggle with the complexity of the same subject at A level.

6. english.teacher

english.teacher New commenter

Thanks everyone! I should have been more specific... I meant to take university in any subject or HE courses in general. For English Literature or English Language, we've specified a B in the subject.
    I just wanted to clarify that students must have a C in English Language/ English in order to progress... we have quite a few students in our sixth form without English or Maths at GCSE, and a few with little chance of getting it (at least in the near future) so wondering what management has in store for them...
    no idea...and as I didn't go to university in this country I still find it really confusing. Some people say yes, some people say no...

7. Same as us although if they gain a top C that would reach a B grade on the 20 mark per grade rule and do a B grade essay on their Shakespeare/poetry comparison in their controlled assessment and their GCSE teacher vouches that they have worked hard and do homework properly and on time, then we let them on to do AS and see how they get on.
    We strongly believe in balancing giving pupils a chance to show their mettle and nnd being wise about who could realistically gain an E grade upwards at GCE, unlike most grammar schools that refuse to admittheirs on without a string of As.