1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Level students who....

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by stevencarrwork, Nov 23, 2012.

1. In their report on Moving English Forward , http://www.slideshare.net/Ofstednews/moving-english-forward , Ofsted talk about a valuable lesson in one school :-

Activities on texts are devised to ensure enjoyment of reading, with lots of emphasis on speaking and listening, and practical tasks such as making and using puppets as part of the Romeo and Juliet work.

How can we work making puppets into A-Level maths to get the benefits of this approach to education?

2. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Of course students, parents and management are disappointed when A-level turns out to be too difficult. But let's face it, if you can get a B at GCSE for around 50% that means you can get onto an A- level course having not understood or not remembered half of what you did at GCSE.

3. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

It's even worse than this: you can get on an AS course without having understood virtually ANY of the material which provides a foundation for A-level.

4. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

perhpas the muppets responsible could explain the use of puppets?

5. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

i believe some universities are setting entrance exams, maybe A level tutors will have to do the same. Many secondaries set Maths tests as soon as year 7 arrive to see what they can do without loads of coaching.

6. Hi there,

I achieved an A* for Maths at GCSE early entry. I felt so smart etc and i got that grade by revising hard and watching topic tutorials on YouTube!

I was simply learning how to pass the test, i never questioned anything that i learnt, for example, anything to the power 0 is 1. I didn't bother finding out why it was always 1.

So then i chose a level maths and boy did i struggle! I just about got a C. Self taught myself from YouTube tutorials.

I think it was partly down to my school spoon feeding us during school years and just teaching us how to pass the exam. I don't blame teachers because end of the day, it's about results for schools.

7. Guish

Guish New commenter

If teachers feel pressured just to make students pass, there'll be a tendency for teachers to just teach like that. I don't think that's common practice though. I'd like to think it's not so everywhere.

8. One of the first sentences students learn to say is 'Will this be on the exam?'.

If you say it will not be on the exam , they instantly tune out.

If they say 'Do I need to learn the proof of this? Will it be on the exam?' , what should you say?

9. Guish

Guish New commenter

I definitely get your point Steve. Most students are like that. I have a couple of A level/IB students who are not like that though. They want the bigger picture of things to be shown to them. That's why it's a tough job. One has to teach according to abilities/maturities. If one feels students are not motivated, one has to teach to make them pass the examinations.
    A few weeks ago, a student told me that she's not a passionate like me about Mathematics when I urged het to do the extra mile. That student had an IGCSE Maths grade A* and Additional Mathematics B. Some have good abilities but they don't give a damn about their future studies and they are not curious. I've been lucky to have some who were the reverse of what I just said as well.