1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A-Level Software Recommendations

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by adam012, Apr 23, 2017.

1. adam012

adam012 New commenter

We're looking to improve the resourcing for A-Level maths and I was wondering if anyone had some good recommendations for Mechanics software (simulators, etc) and Statistics packages.

2. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

Geogebra for statistics - there are loads of people putting together help to do histograms, box plots, probability distributions etc on Geogebra
    Desmos for graphs - not as fancy as Geogebra but really easy to get students exploring graphs, asymptotes, periodicity etc
    Mechanics doesn't have a one-stop solution in the UK I've found - so you may want to try the "walk-throughs" on MEI Integral (free subscription for all UK stats schools - just register with the FMSP), as well as individual simulation applets for collisions etc of which there are many on Google
    Try to attend a "Technology in the A Level Curriculum" course - they're really cheap and are run by FMSP/MEI/Maths Hubs
    http://mei.org.uk/cpd
    http://furthermaths.org.uk/cpd

3. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

Definitely agree with Desmos for graphs. Note the very helpful MEI document with GeoGebra and Desmos links. I have given a link on this Use of Technology page. There is a collection of A Level resources for the new specification from STEM Learning - all free. I noticed several good looking Excel spreadsheets in the Statistics resources. See this post for more information. I agree with Adam re Mechanics, no easy answers there. I do like some of the PhET simulations. I hope they continue to develop the HTML5 versions. I tried Balncing Act on my phone and it worked nicely! See image and link.

adamcreen likes this.
  4. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

5. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

Autograph is pricey (£350+ for secondary school licence). All of the other resources mentioned are free.

6. adam012

adam012 New commenter

Thank you to you all for these recommendations and for sparing a little time to reply. I've got a lot to look through here and I can't wait to try some of the free Mechanics Applets.

We're already using Geogebra and Desmos in the classroom although this is mostly as demonstration at the moment - we're hoping to run training courses for the pupils next year once we're more proficient with it ourselves. I didn't realise Geogebra could be used for Histograms - you learn something every day.

I used to use Autograph but Geogebra is fully featured, has a lively community and (most improtantly for a school) free. Incidentally, the training the people behind Geogebra offer is very good.