1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A level Sociology

Discussion in 'Social sciences' started by REC66, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Hi
    I run a successful Psychology department (GCSE - OCR and A level - Edexcel) and we would like to expand to offer Sociology (A level, in the first instance). I would appreciate any advice/suggestions on the different exam boards/specifications. What do people like and why? We are planning to offer this from Sept 2013 but need to make decisions by Christmas.
    Many thanks for your thoughts. Much appreciated.

2. Hi
    I run a successful Psychology department (GCSE - OCR and A level - Edexcel) and we would like to expand to offer Sociology (A level, in the first instance). I would appreciate any advice/suggestions on the different exam boards/specifications. What do people like and why? We are planning to offer this from Sept 2013 but need to make decisions by Christmas.
    Many thanks for your thoughts. Much appreciated.

3. Well a bit of an issue with timing!! It is very unclear where we stand with Gove insisting all A levels must become linear etc and new specs supposed to be approved and going into schools/colleges Sept 2013 for a 2014 start. It might mean you choose a spec and only have one cohort before the new ones kick in. You might think of postponing for a year. That way when/if exam boards get accreditation for their new specs they will run free traing sessions ( at least AQA will and it would be odd if the others didn't). I'm still not certain Gove might not consider his model for the new O level i.e. only one board per subject with competitive tendering. Makes me glad I will be leaving teaching soon