1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A level results

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Sylvia01, Aug 17, 2012.

1. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

The mark scheme for essays favours content too much over language. I agree that content marks are severe at AS ad A2. I do not trust them.

2. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

And as we've said before content caps language. A candidate whose work is the in sufficient band for content has no hope of being in a higher band for the other criteria. A candidate scoring 10 for content will usually get 3's for the other criteria as a maximum.
    As for not trusting them, I agree: it's the examiner's subjective impression of whether a point has merely been made or has been developed that helps him/her decide what mark to award.

3. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

I'm sitting here grinding my teeth looking at the marks given to one of last year's A2 candidates for her essay, now I've got her script back to look at. She was given 12/25 for content, and 3/5 for the rest, which is obviously the highest mark she could have got when limited by the content band they put her in. Her essay is REALLY good. There are a few accuracy issues here and there (mainly repeated errors that shouldn't have lost her too many marks as the majority of it was correct), but her range & complexity of language is pretty impressive and in terms of content I'm genuinely at a complete loss as to what I could tell her to improve. She wanted to do French at uni but she didn't get a high enough grade, so she's going to resit it next June and is keen to know anything she needs to work on to get a higher mark next time, but I really don't know what to tell her. We had her paper remarked and it came back as one point lower than the original mark!
    I know other people are in the same position with their candidates receiving surprisingly low marks for content. What are you going to tell candidates to do differently in future to try and boost their marks??

4. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

Did she write at great length? I advised our students to write as much as they could. Was her structure very clear? I wonder how many content ticks she had in the margin.

5. rosaespanola

As far as I remember, she wrote about 3-4 pages, and her structure was extremely clear - good opening paragraph, points stated, explained & her opinion given, and a decent conclusion to wrap it up. She also did English lit & history so was very strong at essay writing. I really can't see how they can justify such a low content mark and I really can't think of anything to tell her to try and improve.
    I'm not sure how many content ticks they gave her, I haven't got her paper with me at the moment.

6. EDEXCEL don't limit language marks by content, which is a plus point, but still the subjective marking of content remains a problem. I do worry about whether my pupils will get an examiner who thinks along the same lines as them.

7. rosaespanola

Does anyone have copies of any A2 essays that were put in the top two bands for content? I'd be happy to upload a copy of my student's essay that was given a 12 for content, but I'd really like to see some examples of essays that were given higher content marks so I can try and see what I can tell them to improve. It's really difficult for me to do that without seeing some that were given higher marks.