1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A level results and social distancing

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bungie, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Bungie

Bungie Occasional commenter

On the TV news I've just seen footage of successful A level students collecting their A level results. Many removed their masks, failed to social distance, and hugged - and even kissed - their friends. I have to say I find it worrying that such supposedly bright youngsters can be so foolish. I understand their relief after such a difficult year, but it is irresponsible and selfish beyond belief to do this.

strawbs likes this.
  2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

A good illustration of things to come in a few weeks time.

Sally006, sabrinakat, WB and 3 others like this.
  3. Bungie

Bungie Occasional commenter

"A good illustration of things to come in a few weeks time." Sadly, I fear you are right.

Sally006 and hplovegame48 like this.
  4. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Me too. They have been told they are low risk, they are young and some immature, they have been cooped up for months, no one is policing it... its not rocket science

5. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I visited good friends last week, whom I haven't seen since February. I don't know what I was thinking as I approached him with open arms and cosied up for a hug, but his look of horror and rapid backward movement reminded me that there is a pandemic on.
    Just forgot in the joy of the moment.

strawbs, nizebaby and agathamorse like this.
  6. jellycowfish

jellycowfish Occasional commenter

Before we broke up, I watched 2 of our Y3s meeting each other at school for the first time since March. They shouted each others' names and ran towards each other with their arms out - then both stopped, put their arms down and had the saddest look on their faces. I could have cried. But they seem to have more sense than people twice their age.

caress, strawbs, Sally006 and 7 others like this.
  7. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

They were presumably otside-or at least in a building with relatively few people, for a short time, in the summer, on a warm day, as a one-off.
    If we reopen schools, none of this will be true-apart from the behaviour. But can we really blame young people, if their elders tell them it's safe to reopen schools?

8. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

I am so relieved that Scotland exempted the under 12s from social distancing a few weeks back. My 4 year old daughter was missing her friends desperately.

9. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Exactly this. The pandemic has yet to become ' real 'in the eyes of many UK citizens. They have been kept away from graphic pictures of people on ventilators, mass burials, queues to get into crematoriums and so, like the person who lights up a cigarette or successfully crosses the road while wearing headphones and looking at their phone -the big surprise will come when it's too late.