1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A-Level Product design: Graphic Products (Edexcel)

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by plmccahi, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Hi,

Just curious to find out how other teachers deliver the A2 theory element of the Edexcel specification or any part of Graphics at A-level? What kind of teaching strategies do you use? What resources/websites help you deliver?
    Any help would be much appreciated with this.

Thanks in advance.

2. Hi,

Just curious to find out how other teachers deliver the A2 theory element of the Edexcel specification or any part of Graphics at A-level? What kind of teaching strategies do you use? What resources/websites help you deliver?
    Any help would be much appreciated with this.

Thanks in advance.

3. I've been teaching this for 11 years and I still don't know the answer to how to deliver these theory lessons oin an exciting manner. I teach A level Textiles too, and I have the same issues with that.
    Anthropometrics: mI get the students particularly the small and tall ones about issues they have with things (this obviously works better in textiles than graphics) althouigh a car is quite a good example too
    I make them do presentations on designers, and then p/copy their notes for all the class. Same with social and moral issues
    Teach the theory as practical hands on wherever possible
    Apart from that a lot of slideshows, and praying no one walks in to observe the learning, as I can find no interesting or exciting ways to deliver these lessons
    Youtube can be quite helpful
    Sorry I can't be of more help

4. Hey howzit guys!

I've got a large and potentialy bouncy Yr 11 graphics course to teach. My big issue at the moment is teaching the Social, Moral and Cultural section of the syllabus. Have completed the Cultural side of things but am a little foxed with the Moral iissues - any clues on how to teach this in an engaging way?

5. Moral issues:
    Sophie Dahl and the banned Poisen perfume ad always gets them going. Brings in ASA too
    Budweiser frogs bvanned due to appeal to children
    Any cd/album cover that has been banned due to risque graphics (even Never Mind The *** will do!)
    Manufacture of overseas components/items in sweatshops
    Playboy bunny on stationery for young children
    Offensive slogans on kids t-shirts (e.g chick magnet on 2 year old boys t-shirt, or boytoy on similar girls) I knopw these are part textiles, but the slogans are usually screenprinted
    Can't think of any more at the moment, but will keep thinking

6. Have just realised I have spelt Poison wrong...............But perfume adverts are a good example of promoting size 0 and sexual images
    Animal rights when creating toiletries
    Now Have no ideas at all left!