1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A level music Harmony

Discussion in 'Music' started by jojo_pie, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if there was anyone out there who could help me with the harmony aspects of unit 3 and unit 6 edexcel music. I am wanting to start 4 part harmony with y12s and y13s, so that they have had a lot of practice. Does anyone have any good resources (with answers) that i would be able to use? This is my first year of delivering the course, and the head of music at my school is not very supportive.

2. The ABRSM Harmony book by Butterworth: Harmony in Practice works well and has answers - I LIKE answers because I do sometimes get stuck with my harmonisations - especially the trixy details like german 6ths and phrigian cadences. it's all in there for them and for you and builds the knowledge up slowly from the basics.
    Analysing some hymn tunes helps as well - once you have taught them how to recognise and lable chords using the roman numeral system. I set one of these for homework every week for four weeks near the start of the course.

3. I got the book Four Part Harmony by Classroom Resources after someone recommended it (on this forum I think). The price put me off at first, but I you can claim a 50% reduction if you agree not to photocopy it.

It was just what I was looking for; comprehensive yet concise. It filled up a few gaps in my knowledge, and it was written in a way that pupils could understand.

It covers everything you could need at A-Level, and it has saved me an enormous amount of time in preparing resources. After I cover a topic in class, students can simply read through the relevant page in the book at their own pace, and study the included examples.

You can get it here:
    http://www.classroom-resources.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Four_Part_Harmony_2866.html

4. Thank you for all of your help.
    This is my first year teaching A level and it is so tough! I would like to know if im doing ok....so far, i have covered 5 set pieces in year 13 and year 12, is this about right for this time of year? I have started practicing the technical studies with my year 13s, or the chord writing with my 12s, but they can identify chords. I dont really know where to start with my year 13s, in terms of the technical study, and identifying neaopolitan 6ths... i am finding year 12 harmony pretty straightforward. i think because i havent taught the course before, i am a little stumped in terms of what they need to know for year 13. I will definitely be getting those books though, thank you.

5. I am starting GCSE and A Level music next year and I think I might poo my pants!!

6. THIS MUST BE POST OF THE YEAR - and it's still January!

7. It's a bit late, but try www.harmonyworkbook.co.uk