1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A-level maths tuition

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by atics, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Quick question: what's the going rate for A-level maths tuition?
    I'm based in the Midlands if that has any bearing on it.
    Many thanks.

2. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

I used to charge 30-50 quid per hour, but I hated tutoring so priced myself high.

3. After a stint I will only do it from home and at £25 an hour on clearly defined time slots.
    I found charging £30 worked out a bad deal when I was driving for x minutes, waiting outside the house for y minutes and spending £z in petrol. Sometimes I was making aout £12 an hour after the travel and expenses
    Happy for for people to come to my office for £25 as I can do my own thing until they are here and it means I need to keep the office tidy all the time.

4. £30-£35 is reasonable. You may have less travelling to do in the Midlands. ALevel Maths Tutors are difficult to find, so you may be able to charge more.

5. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

£35 to £40 an hour, at student's home - possible deals if at my home, or for longer lessons

6. afterdark

afterdark New commenter

Given the price of petrol...let them come to you.
    Ask a 'lower' rate of not less than 30 quid an hour.
    I found that helped enormously in my UK giving tuition days.
    If they are late then have a book to read.
    Personally I got fruit juice in for the students. All very civilised.