1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Level Maths timing of modules

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by liver56, Mar 11, 2012.

1. We are currently teaching our first Year 12 cohort according to:
    C1, C2 and S1 with teh intention of C3, C4 and S2 as they move into Y13

I am seriously condidering entering C1 and C2 entry only this Summer, although, by the end of this acdemic year, to have covered all of S1 and a fair chunk of C3.
    Obviously they would then sit S1 for the first time in Jan 13 ( along with C3 ) and in Summer 13 sit C4, S2 and possible resits.
    This clearly means I need to be certain that they will continue to A2, else they will have no AS qualification but does anyone have any experience of this approach for some pupils ?

2. We are currently teaching our first Year 12 cohort according to:
    C1, C2 and S1 with teh intention of C3, C4 and S2 as they move into Y13

I am seriously condidering entering C1 and C2 entry only this Summer, although, by the end of this acdemic year, to have covered all of S1 and a fair chunk of C3.
    Obviously they would then sit S1 for the first time in Jan 13 ( along with C3 ) and in Summer 13 sit C4, S2 and possible resits.
    This clearly means I need to be certain that they will continue to A2, else they will have no AS qualification but does anyone have any experience of this approach for some pupils ?

3. DM

DM New commenter

You have identified the problem. Many students drop mathematics after AS and this proposal will mean yours walk away with nothing. Don't forget the funding implication: grades = money.
    I don't think teaching much of S1 and C3 this year for examination in January 2013 is a good idea either as they will forget almost everything over the summer and you will need to teach it all again from scratch.

4. GoldMaths

GoldMaths New commenter

We have tried this:
    C1 Jan Year 12
    C2 & D1 June Year 12
    S1 Jan Year 13
    C3 & C4 June Year 13

We are hoping sitting C3 & C4 together will complement each other, in the past we have done C3 in Jan Year 13 but found results were bad and most ended up needing to sit 3 modules in June Year 13.

5. pwc9000

pwc9000 New commenter

My first thought is, rather unhelpfully, shouldn't you have decided this some time ago?
    From a funding point of view how is it even a possibility to do anything other than complete AS Level in Year 12?
    I also agree with the point made about C3/C4 sitting quite well together as exams to be taken in the same session.