1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

a level maths revision retreat

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by mathsnmusic, Feb 28, 2010.

1. I have heard of teachers taking their a-level students away for a weekend of maths, maths and more maths. Has anyone here done anything like that? How did it go? What was the interest like? How was it funded? Did it make a difference to results? etc. etc.
    We have a great little bunch of year 12s who might love this. Before I talk to my hod or the kids I would like to get some more info.

2. Hi, we used to do this after the Easter holiday, taking our small number of year 12 and 13s, and a small group of highest ability year 11s (it was nice to give them some time and attention).
    Itinery was something like: -
    - Friday afternoon leave school early and travel to outdoors centre.
    - Friday teatime, do about 2 hours light work and then have tea. Evening was a night time navigation exercise by the centre staff.
    - Saturday morning lots of revision, changing staff every 1.5 hours.
    - Saturday dinner followed by afternoon activities with centre staff.
    - Saturday teatime followed by evening's work.
    - Sunday morning past papers.
    - Sunday dinner was a packed lunch in the bus back to school.
    It was a lot of fun and great for building relationships, gave the students probably two week's worth of revision in a weekend and made more of the year 11s seriously consider A-Level. Staff were dead on their feet by the following Friday though.
    The funding started being directed at year 11 grade D/C borderline kids (we tried that, but it wasn't the same) and then dried up altogether.

3. Where did you used to go?

4. Over the years we used a few different outward bounds centres as they just provided the accommodation, we did all of the maths.