1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A level maths in PGCE year

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Captain Obvious, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

That sort of thing depends on individual schools. You may find you get a lesson in one placement, but not in others - it can depend on how many classes there are and the staff who normally take those groups.
    Some schools may prefer you to assist in such lessons so you can experience how A-level works.

2. As the above posters say, it very much depends on your placement school.
    On my first placement, it was clear that they didn't want the trainees teaching A-Level, although they did let us deliver revision lessons after school.
    On my second placement I taught a fortnight of C4 (5 lessons a week) right from the start and could have taught longer if I didn't want to move onto KS4 classes (the timings clashed).
    Only advice I'd give is: ask! They can only say no. And be prepared for a bit more preparation. I wanted to make sure I'd worked through all the exercises I'd be asking the class to do...on the off-chance you get a "what do I do with this sir?" and you haven't a clue!