1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Level Lit specification

Discussion in 'English' started by englishtt06, Jun 23, 2017.

1. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

The long version: I have taught AQA B for several years (old and new specs) and now that Y13 completed yesterday, I am thinking about next year. Whilst I have really enjoyed teaching some of the texts/aspects (Hamlet, Othello etc.) I have been less enamoured by others. The students feel the same way. I have taken a quick look at OCR, Edexcel and Eduqas and like a few of their course outlines - how have others found these specs? Have you felt well-supported? There are only one set of mock papers available for the new AQA spec which has proved a little irksome.

Short version: I never want to teach Tess of the D'Urbervilles again and, unless I teach Richard II, there is no alternative but to change specs. I have tried to stay positive teaching Tess for my students' sake but they complained and quite frankly I agree with them: I love Hardy's poetry; not so keen on the prose, though.

2. Tangalle

Tangalle New commenter

We've enjoyed the spec. We did Keats which went down well. There was a bit of absence of support for the course to be fair, maybe a bit of a blind spot for AQA as they're normally good. We'll be sticking with it, so glad to see the back of that aspects of narrative exam!

3. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

Stay with AQA Lit B and switch to Comedy? Texts are great; students have responded really well to the course.
    I love the fact with Lit B that the mark scheme is the same for all elements including the NEA, (unlike the previous Lit B spec which was cumbersome in working out which questions were marked for which AOs) and that it is marked holistically - answer the question and you'll hit the AOs.

4. RosyGlow

RosyGlow New commenter

More than happy with Edexcel. More choice, I think and they have produced sets of specimen papers.

5. Tangalle

Tangalle New commenter

Exam papers seemed fair and sensible too

6. Joannanna

Joannanna New commenter

Spec A is the same re: mark schemes. A much improved and better thought out course than before the reform. The one negative has been only having 1 spec paper, but we've overcome it. Exam papers seemed quite fair, though Paper 2 can be confusing due to layout.

ktolley1 likes this.
  7. Manbooker

Manbooker New commenter

We're with OCR - love it. The usual problems with a lack of SAMs, plus a lack of sample unseen extracts for one of the units. The training courses were great and our AS results last year reflected a very straightforward approach to marking. Our students have loved the dystopian unit - no nagging about wider reading and it's been a pleasure reading a whole range of dystopia to track down extracts for the unseen. The only downside is that it is all closed book....

8. atwoodfan

atwoodfan New commenter

We're OCR as well, and have really enjoyed most of the course. We did the America unit for the comparative and contextual study, and that has been popular with students.

9. ktolley1

ktolley1 New commenter

Agreed our students thought the papers were fair and they've enjoyed the text choices.