1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A-Level Give away vs IB Control. 2020

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Beagles111, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Beagles111

Beagles111 New commenter

I have just read the information regarding how A-Level boards are going to be awarding their grades this year. It looks like it amounts to making it up as you go along and then ranking your students in the way in which you like them, how much they pay you or how often they bring you an apple. I am sure that many of you have read the same. However, if you read what the IB are asking of their students I fear for them, the students that is. Every IA must be annotated by a teacher and then sent in to be marked by IB markers. This is not good, the A-level has no coursework any more so nothing will be marked, yet the IB students are going to be penalised because they do? The A-Level kids will get a best guess result whilst IB will be doubly marked? Is this fair? If any of you are IB Extended Essay markers you will know that there is no comeback. We have had EE's marked by staff as A's which come back as a D with not one annotation or explanation on them at all.....Help.....

2. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

It occurred to me some time back that, given the current situation, school-based assessment would probably become the norm as (so I understand) it is for the US High School Diploma. I hope that system isn't totally corrupt. I'd be sad to think that my grandchildren might be ranked according to popularity, parental bribes or the frequency of apple submission.

3. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

It's about integrity

A teacher who has the integrity to assess fairly a students own work for the IA will also have the inegrity to estimate grades fairly- and the converse: if you would cheat with a student's estimated grade then you'd cheat with their IA as well.

The issue will arise with pressure from management, rather than from teachers themselves.

I'm not currently teaching IB but feel a bit sorry for those students who assessed the (science) IA to be a small part of their final grade and who maybe didn't put heart and soul into it. It also seems to be testing a fairly narrow (if important) part of the skill set necessary for a scientist.

But no, I don't have any better ideas. With our A-level Y13s, most have done January modules so there's at least some kind of check on wildly over-estimated final grades.

ETA I think I've just caught something on the radio that suggests Selectividad students (in spain) will be assessed with an oral exam over the internet- I can't imagine how that will work in terms of the time/nº of assessors needed. it's early in the morning, I wasn't concentrating and might not have got it right. Will try to find out more......

4. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Integrity???? Are you having a laugh?

Good results means bums on seats. There is not a principal of an international school in the world who would not hesitate to sex up their results given the chance. And this is a golden opportunity.

alex_teccy likes this.
  5. IndigoViolence

IndigoViolence New commenter

And by doing so, reduce the outcomes for current 10 & 12 students who will be at a distinct disadvantage missing school coupled with higher benchmarks/ grade boundaries.

6. moscowbore

And they will not even consider that

7. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

"It's about integrity"

Bullocks. If you are in a grammar school or an independent school in the UK, you are going to be up against really pushy parents, and a pushy SLT. They will be demanding A grades, and pressuring you to justify any award that is less. League positions are at stake. SLT salaries depend on progress. Your life will be hell if you don't change the grades after the quiet talks and subtle hints.

Now if you are in a sink comp, you'll be okay. You see so few parents anyway, and the ones you do see aren't anywhere as good as gaming the system. Give them the grades (bumped up a bit) and go home. Everyone's happy.

What should happen rather than this frankly stupid system is a set of smaller tests taken in July / August. This idiotic system dreamt up by the exam boards and ofqual is even worse than the stupid 'controlled' NEA system they came up with for GCSE a few years ago.

This is never going to work, little consultation took place but the exam boards and ofqual won't accept that. They know best.

8. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

I bet you hate it when your students don't read beyond the first line.

tb9605 likes this.
  9. 4019775

4019775 New commenter

IB has been superior to A levels for a long time. Certainly in maths, chemistry, physics. No idea what it is like for the Mickey Mouse subjects.

I work at a top drawer UK old school private and more or less all our final year students get top grades (7 or top A) and we can justify this going back many years.So not a problem for us.

International schools are in the gutter. They will abuse the system. The "circuit" is to education what Trump is to politics: Toxic. No one from the "circuit" would get through our rather beautiful front door unless it was for a cleaning job.

10. Bytor

Bytor Occasional commenter

Rather provocative comments, with sweeping generalisations of international schools and staff.

Are all too drawer schools above reproach?

And blowing of own trumpet, not sure from which orifice

Apart from that, there will be excellent staff who may find themselves in poor schools. Likewise, I know of poor staff, who are in prestigious top drawer UK schools.

11. Bytor

top drawer, rather than too drawer.

12. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

13. Bytor

Yeah, Dumbells. Just seen they're at it on another thread you responded to.

Such philistine views of other subjects in their post above too.

There are a few provocative posters around at the moment.

Or perhaps, they are one and the same.

14. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

there are definitely posters under multiple names

TusitalaH likes this.
  15. moscowbore

I did read the whole post.

I have already seen several emails from parents applying not too subtle pressure on teachers, myself included, and management. Our management are "examining" all of the evidence of student attainment next week and they will decide what gets sent to the IB. It will be an integrity-free zone.

16. Beagles111

Beagles111 New commenter

[​IMG]
    Beagles111
    Member since 2017
    From my profile page
    In my defence I have been around for 3 years it is just the rules that we labour under with the TES.

17. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

But I thought the IB had demanded that ALL IAs should be sent in and that they would base the evaluation on these. Have I missed another "clarification" email?

18. normannobody2018

normannobody2018 New commenter

Fascinating how the 'old hands' enjoy their bullying of other members. Their pomposity says a lot about them.
    The strawman argument - he didn't name English therefore he thinks English is Mickey Mouse - is a classic.
    @4019775 - the report button is there. Use it.

Mainwaring likes this.
  19. MyOrchid

MyOrchid Occasional commenter

I teach IB Diploma and have a child whose A Levels have just been cancelled. I'm not sure that the A Level arrangements amount to "making it up as you go along", as was stated in the original post. I'm also not too concerned that the IB students are hard done by - the conversion rate for Diploma to A Level is extremely generous. Simple example, Durham want AAA to study a Biology degree, which apparently equates to 37 IB points.

That the IB has decided to mark all coursework rather than moderate is a great step forward for them. Perhaps they can arrange for the ToK presentations, or exhibition, as it will be next year, to actually be marked as well. Or perhaps their massive rate of expansion, combined with the lingering effects of the virus, will mean there are even fewer poor ******* around to mark stuff.....

20. moscowbore

My understanding is that all IAs will be marked like an external exam. We have been asked to provide justification for all of our IA marks. The IA marks, the justification of those marks, the predicted levels from teachers, the mock results are all going to our management. I lost track of what the IB have asked for and what our management have asked for on top of that.