1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A-level Further - roots of polynomials related to existing polynomials

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by AshgarMary, Aug 19, 2019.

1. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

I'm struggling to find a real life practical reason for why one would want to use the roots of an existing polynomial as the basis for constructing another polynomial.

Eg if roots of existing cubic are a,b,c say, find a polynomial with roots 2a+1, 2b+1, 2c+1.

Great as an intellectual exercise but of what use in the real world (by which I don't mean postgraduate theoretical pure maths!)

The best thing I can come up with is some kind of handwaving mutterings about 'cryptography' which to be honest I have no idea if that is true or not!

Anyone got a real reason?

2. Skillsheets

Skillsheets Occasional commenter

You are finding the equation of a transformed graph perhaps but the new spec does not mention this.

3. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

Yes I get that. I like to try and give students some real life practical application - just a sentence here and there - as to why we might be doing something but am at a bit of a loss with this one!

4. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I was talking about this kind of thing with a friend of mine recently. He said his reply was "That's why I don't like real life."

Piranha likes this.
  5. maths_mikey

maths_mikey New commenter

Why does everything have to be useful in real life. And who knows what is going to be useful when? Lots of mathematics that is priceless to us now was useless when the methods were first being discovered. Mathematics is worthy of study in it's oen right. Stop trying to justify your subject. It should not be necessary especially to A level students.

BG54 likes this.