1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A level French subjunctive phrases anyone?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by FrauSue, Apr 10, 2008.

1. FrauSue

FrauSue New commenter

Try giving them phrase starters that they can then slip into different topics. "Bien que de nombreux experts soient de l'opinion que ... ", "Malgre qu'on ne puisse jamais predire ce qui se passera dans l'avenir, ...", "Il faut que les gouvernements du monde sachent que ..." ,"Si bizarre que cela paraisse, ...".

Just some ideas. See http://www.french-linguistics.co.uk/grammar/subjunctive_w... for some good example sentences too.

Apologies for lack of accents and/or errors - I am on half-term brain power!

2. You might find something here: http://www.lepointdufle.net/ Just type in "subjonctif" in the search box.

FrauSue, although you would probably hear it quite a lot in France, you can't actually say/write "malgrè QUE" (always without "que"), you should use "bien que" + subj. instead.

3. *Wrong accent, I meant "malgrÉ"!

4. FrauSue

FrauSue New commenter

Thank you, clabole - I have learnt something new today!

5. That's wonderful, thank you! I am forever impressed at how lovely this forum is compared to others :)

6. pour que ... is fairly easy to get into an essay...

7. I always like "Quoi qu'il en soit" which means "be that as it may....."

introduced it to my top set yr 10 class for them to learn and they said "what does be that as it may even mean in english?".........i despair.......!

8. This should now perhaps be re-titled GCSE rather than A level.

9. vacherin

vacherin New commenter

How true!