1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Level French Exam Boards

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by MadameMarshall, Feb 25, 2012.

1. My school is introducing A level French. I am currently looking at what is on offer from different exam boards. What motivated your choice of exam board? I'd be really grateful if you could share positives and negatives of the boards that you are workig with, in order to help me make my mind. I am concluding a thorough research on fees, assessment and support from AQA, Edexcel, OCR and WJEC. Which one has your preference and why? Thanks for your comments.

2. My school is introducing A level French. I am currently looking at what is on offer from different exam boards. What motivated your choice of exam board? I'd be really grateful if you could share positives and negatives of the boards that you are workig with, in order to help me make my mind. I am concluding a thorough research on fees, assessment and support from AQA, Edexcel, OCR and WJEC. Which one has your preference and why? Thanks for your comments.

3. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

We opted for AQA because Edexcel did not test Listening at A2 and OCR's spec seemed to make studying cultural essays not so worthwhile (no lit essay on their paper).
    No complaints generally, though AQA's essay marking not always reliable at AS and A2. WJEC had prescribed texts - I prefer freedom to choose topics and texts.
    Grade outcomes should be comparable.

4. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

I also prefer AQA because it starts where GCSE left off rather than starting back from where A2 should be. Doesn't mean it's perfect, but for correctly entered candidates (ie. ones with aptitude, commitment and work ethic) it is manageable.

5. We use WJEC, having swapped from Edexcel when the new specs came in. Our thinking was:
    a) a high level of freedom on literature and film - which, yes, students respond very well to;
    b) lots of options about what to study and how to examine it - every student can do a different combination, with no problem in delivery. In-house oral exam at AS, visiting at A2 - works well;
    c) a greater emphasis on language, over topics, than the other boards: some of the wider A Level topics looked just grim, both to teach and to study, so WJEC seems to give enough content and 'real' situation to make it interesting (environment, Europe, immigration) without making it so heavy that it's dull;
    d) there is a refreshing emphasis on understanding structures - you actually have to be able to manipulate the language very accurately to succeed, which is educationally valid and good to teach!

The admin people have been a little overwhelmed by their success in the recent past, I think, but they're getting it together now and the people themselves are excellent - helpful and informative.

6. Thank you so much all for your replies to my post. All your comments are really helpful. I am now wondering about textbooks. I have had a look at Atout from Heinemann and Elan from Oxford. Any suggestions?

7. S-MFL

S-MFL New commenter

Hello,

I am also looking at switching exam boards and would make a switch to AQA, but my main concern is the fact that essay marking is unreliable. Any thoughts? I also feel that with the scandal of last year around the GCSE English exam, I should choose very carefully. I am looking to switch for GCSE until A2 French. Thank you in anticipation for your answer.