1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Level French CiE

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by doha, Jan 4, 2017.

1. doha

doha New commenter

Hi there, I'm new to teaching A Level Cie and Im tutoring a student who has done her AS French last year. What component must she take this year to complete her A Level? As far as I understand from the CiE website, she has to retake all of them as her marks cannot be carried forward.. is it the case? Also, if you teach A Level CiE, which book did you choose to study this year? Thanks!

2. pascuam49

pascuam49 New commenter

Hi, You are right regarding the first three components, she will have to retake the papers and the grade boundaries would be higher than in AS. Regarding component 4 (Literature) you need to go onto their website and check the syllabus for 2017 (the year when the test is taken) you will need to cover (a minimum of) three set books from two different lists, which is quite demanding, especially if you haven't started covering literature yet. The books change from year to year. I teach Spanish so I am afraid I cannot help you regarding titles but I hope you find the rest of the information useful.

3. doha

doha New commenter

Thank you so much for your reply. It is such a demanding exam! Nothing compared to AQA! Im meeting the student next week and Im not sure she is aware of all of this! All the best!!

4. pascuam49

pascuam49 New commenter

Glad to be of help. We are offering A2 for the first time this year so literature and higher boundaries new for us too. Good luck to your student!

doha likes this.
  5. doha

doha New commenter

Hi there. Sorry one more question.. Can my student do the same presentation for her Speaking as she did for her AS? Can the Speaking exam be very, very similar to the one she did? Thanks!
    Also anyone else doing Cambridge French A Level? Which textbook are you using and which books did you decide to study? Thanks!

6. pascuam49

pascuam49 New commenter

I have not read any information regarding a connection between both presentations. I even contacted CIE but did not get any reply. I remember filling in a form for EDEXCEL in the past to declare speaking tests content and research content but nothing seems to be in place for CIE. Just in case I have got my students to prepare a completely different topic from AS.

7. sheelas-apl

sheelas-apl New commenter

Hi , could you please tell me what resource your student used for AS level French ?
    Thanks