1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A level fieldwork

Discussion in 'Geography' started by chris_white, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Hi there
    I just thought I would write this to see if anybody could give me any pointers.
    In the sutumn term I will be teaching the Geographical skills module of OCR A2 geography.
    I am however coming upo with a slight problem in that the group went on the residential trip last year when they were in year 12. This means that they seem to have forgotten pretty much everything they did.
    I wasn't at the school at this time and did not go on the fieldwork residential and therefore am a little stuck because I am trying to teach pupils about things they did on a trip a year ago that I wasnt even on.
    Because of this I am hoping to take them away on a refresher trip myself in the autumn term. As they have already been on a residential fieldwork visit their parents would not want to pasy for us to go to a field studies centre again so I expect I will have to plan and run it myself.
    I was hoping people might be able to give me hints upon running fieldwork visit.
    I am probably thinking NorthWales for the trip and would like to complete a river study and a study within a town.
    Does anybody have any suggestions for locations or studies to undertake.
    Secondly If I were to take groups of pupils out in the snowdonia area would I need a qualified mountain leader with me?
    I would be very grateful if anybody had any hints, tips or ideas that may be able to help me.

thankyou

2. Hi there
    I just thought I would write this to see if anybody could give me any pointers.
    In the sutumn term I will be teaching the Geographical skills module of OCR A2 geography.
    I am however coming upo with a slight problem in that the group went on the residential trip last year when they were in year 12. This means that they seem to have forgotten pretty much everything they did.
    I wasn't at the school at this time and did not go on the fieldwork residential and therefore am a little stuck because I am trying to teach pupils about things they did on a trip a year ago that I wasnt even on.
    Because of this I am hoping to take them away on a refresher trip myself in the autumn term. As they have already been on a residential fieldwork visit their parents would not want to pasy for us to go to a field studies centre again so I expect I will have to plan and run it myself.
    I was hoping people might be able to give me hints upon running fieldwork visit.
    I am probably thinking NorthWales for the trip and would like to complete a river study and a study within a town.
    Does anybody have any suggestions for locations or studies to undertake.
    Secondly If I were to take groups of pupils out in the snowdonia area would I need a qualified mountain leader with me?
    I would be very grateful if anybody had any hints, tips or ideas that may be able to help me.

thankyou

3. Hi there!
    I am a geography teacher in the North Wales area. We did our river study for A level at Loggerheads just outside of Mold. It was fantastic and the students really enjoyed it!

4. ejz

ejz New commenter

As long as you follow your schools Health and Safety and Trips guidelines you will be OK. If your not a qualified First Aider then you'll need to bring along an adult who is. Your school will have a specified ratio of children to adults for different activities, if not, 1:8 teacher to pupil is suitable for a mountainous environment. If your taking your pupils off the main trails I'd have them each suited and booted for hiking (ie. boots, waterproof, water bottle and no jeans). You can rent any equipment you don't have/can't afford from your local FSC Centre.
    Happy trails!