1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A-Level exam board

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by YolandaAnne, Jan 6, 2020.

?

A-Level Exam board

1. AQA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Edexcel

75.0%
  3. OCR

25.0%
  4. MEI

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. YolandaAnne

YolandaAnne New commenter

Hi,

My school are introducing A-level next year and I'd like some advice/recommendations on which exam board to go with.
    I have previously taught old spec edexcel and new spec OCR and have resources from both including a full new spec OCR SoW. But willing to change and put work in. Want to know what's best for the students in terms of exam setup and questions, know that the syllabuses are largely the same.
    Any advice please let me know.
    Have a decent budget for resources too.

Thanks,
    Yolanda

2. DM

DM New commenter

The problem with your survey is that Edexcel have the largest market share by some way and it is probable that the results will simply reflect that.

3. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I tutor students from a number of schools, all do Edexcel except one who is doing MEI. The Edexcel textbooks aren't great and have quite a number of errors but I still prefer them to the MEI books. I also prefer the arrangement of the Edexcel exam papers, with all the applied questions on the same paper rather than mixed up with the pure questions like on MEI. There were of course well publicised problems with the Edexcel papers in 2019, which didn't seem similar to the sample questions provided.

I've no experience with AQA or OCR since the reforms, I've taught both previously but that's probably no longer relevant.