1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A level English Literature specifications

Discussion in 'English' started by jlar, Mar 13, 2012.

1. We are thinking of changing to OCR after three years of unpredictable and/or bad results with AQA spec B. Is there anyone out there who is doing OCR who can reassure us that this isn't jumping from frying pan to fire?

2. We are thinking of changing to OCR after three years of unpredictable and/or bad results with AQA spec B. Is there anyone out there who is doing OCR who can reassure us that this isn't jumping from frying pan to fire?

3. english.teacher

english.teacher New commenter

I am really concerned about this well. We're offering A Level for the first time next year and we've chosen AQA B spec but I can't get over all the controversy regarding their results - by controversy I mean people on here that discuss the sporadic and unpredictable results. I've read through all the exemplar material and really scanned the AOs...
    I hope someone helps you out! I want to know too!

4. Joannanna

Joannanna New commenter

Have you considered AQA Spec A? It's the only course I've ever taught to be honest, but we have quite predictable results year on year - in fact, in the last 3 years of the course, some of our results have been higher than we could have expected.

5. seaviews

seaviews New commenter

I went on a course last year and the presenter showed us the differences between all of the A-level Lit specs. They all have different requirements when it comes to the assessment objectives. Some put more emphasis on AO2, others on AO3 etc. It was really enlightening and showed how important it is to understand what is most important to the examiners and we selected a board according to our strengths/preferences - Edexcel at the moment.

6. We've been with OCR for a few years. It's a very good spec - unfortunately we had some <u>very</u> suspect marking last year at AS, and quite a few schools in our borough reported the same. At A2 their marking has always been consistent.
    From what I hear about AQA B, OCR is an improvement - but it's still shocking that exam boards like this are incompetent in their marking for whatever reason. When we contacted OCR they were extremely defensive and unwilling to accept what seemed like an obvious mess-up on their part. We're reluctantly staying with OCR.