1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A level English Lit.

Discussion in 'English' started by sebedina, Jul 16, 2020.

1. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

I mainly teach GCSE. However, two of my existing pupils have asked if I could help them with their A level Literature. I haven't taught it for the last few years.

Are there any good websites for help with A level Literature?? I am looking for model answers and any additional resources?? I use York Notes but need a broader spectrum of resources. I have read the specs and know the assessment objectives. Many thanks

2. english.teacher

english.teacher New commenter

If you have recourse to funds, the EMC magazines are great.... other than that, model answers are only usually found on the spec websites. What board?

3. rachelsays

rachelsays New commenter

What exactly do you mean by resources? Critical essays?

As said above, EMC's emag magazine is great for sixth-form friendly, accessible literary criticism on all the popular texts, but it's a paid-for service, so if you don't have a login through school, it's expensive. A fantastic free resource that I use for sixth form teaching all the time is the British Library's Discovering Literature website - loads of accessible critical articles from academics, short video lectures on specific novels, authors and themes such as the Gothic, and links to scans of original documents to support contextual teaching. It's a real treasure trove.

If these pupils are existing, and want you to help them with A Level Literature, do you mean that they are continuing into sixth form at your school next year but you're not teaching them the A Level? And they want you to effectively give them a bit of tutoring on the side? If this is the scenario, then I really would advise you not to go any further with this unless the colleague teaching these pupils A Level is happy for you to be involved. If I've understood you correctly, these are your current GCSE pupils, who have already decided that they want you to help them while they're being taught by someone else next year - if so, this really is not a situation you should be encouraging or supporting. These pupils need to be allowed to move on and form a relationship with their new teacher. You agreeing to help them undermines your colleague by suggesting to these pupils that their new teacher's teaching will not be good enough and the pupils will need your extra help to compensate. If I were your colleague, I'd be furious at you agreeing to this before they'd even started the course, especially as you admittedly have limited experience of A Level teaching and could be leading them down all sorts of garden paths if you've misunderstood any of the course requirements. If, however, I have completely misunderstood the scenario, then I apologise unreservedly and hope the resource suggestions are helpful!

jarndyce likes this.
  4. finulla_harrison

finulla_harrison New commenter

Hi,
    I am new to the forum. I trained to be a teacher as a mature student and have spent the last ten years working my way through key stage three and four English Language and Literature. I am now looking at the A level syllabus because I want to teach key stage five. I have just read The Great Gatsby and Kate Chopin's short stories collection. The British Library resource looks interesting however I was just wondering if there are any tips with regard to the A level language paper.
    I haven't actually found a job teaching for September, but I am looking, any advice on sixth form's that need teachers could also be useful.

5. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

Unfortunately, A Level numbers are falling... :(

You could do worse than looking on the exam boards' websites. The English and Media Centre also runs some very good Preparing to Teach A Level (in general) CPD days, as well as insets on different A Level papers and texts.

6. finulla_harrison

finulla_harrison New commenter

Thank you for the information!