1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A-level English Language

Discussion in 'English' started by DalekTeacher, Jun 24, 2012.

1. DalekTeacher

DalekTeacher New commenter

Hi,
    I received my finalised copy of my time-table for next year on Friday and have been told that I will have to teach A-level English Language Spec A by AQA. I have taught A-level English Literature this year but have never taught English Language. Is there any useful textbooks that would be recommended to purchase?
    Thanks,
    Dalekteacher.

2. DalekTeacher

DalekTeacher New commenter

Hi,
    I received my finalised copy of my time-table for next year on Friday and have been told that I will have to teach A-level English Language Spec A by AQA. I have taught A-level English Literature this year but have never taught English Language. Is there any useful textbooks that would be recommended to purchase?
    Thanks,
    Dalekteacher.

3. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

You too? I'm teaching it for the first time and am bricking it!!! I know NOTHING. I've ordered the AQA textbook but it's still hard.
    I've got year 13 tomorrow and am trying to plan something but have hit a bit of a brick wall.

4. montyjacs

montyjacs New commenter

Hi

If you really feel like you know nothing, then a good starting point is to familiarise yourself with the revision/study guide that the students will use!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Revision-Express-AS-English-Language/dp/1408206536/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1340541123&sr=8-11
    If you want a lot of help with schemes of work and other really helpful resources from an exceptionally helpful bunch of people then you need to join up to the Language List - an online email based suport network mainly aimed at teachers of A Level English Language. There is a very small lifetime fee of c£20 or a yearly fee of c£7:
    https://www.mollybleed.com/
    Your only problem once you've joined is coping with all the emails trying to help you out! You can also join up to the small but expanding englishedu site which also has some useful resources.
    Best wishes

5. I'm concerned that you are doing Spec A - this isn't a popular choice and you'd find far more support for Spec B. Can you change?

6. mediadave

mediadave New commenter

This is a good one:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mastering-Advanced-English-Language-Palgrave/dp/1403994838/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340565637&sr=8-1

7. Your school should, of course, be helping you with training and preparation - but what a surprise that they're not! I'm afraid you'll have to spend some of the holidays reading. Apart from the course textbook, which is the obvious place to start, and "Mastering Advanced English Language", which is excellent, but heavy going for a newcomer, you might try Shirley Russell: "Grammar, Structure and Style" and David Crystal, "Encyclopaedia of the English Language". David Crystal's"The Stories of English" and Melvyn Bragg's "The Routes of English" are very good background reading for you, though probably too sophisticated for new sixth-formers.
    It can be very rewarding, but you should be prepared for it to be uphill work for the first few months - students often seem to choose the subject because they think they won't have to do much reading! Also, both they and their parents tend to think that it'll consist of writing stories and learning a bit of basic grammar, and they can be very resistant indeed to the idea of learning to analyse language in detail, with historical background and all!